Thursday, July 24, 2014

#16 Oregon Style Pork Chops with Pinot Noir and Cranberries

 Today, I had a few minutes while one child was off to camp being a Junior Counselor and the other was participating in VBS the Blast. I decided to go shopping for the next four meals. There were a few items that had me stumped and I unfortunately did not consult Google before leaving the house. I am getting really good at asking deli managers and other employees for help in my quest for unusual items. Between Meijer and Aldi I was able to get everything on the list, except hot red cherry pepper in a jar. Still stumped about that one. The cost was $50 for four meals. I have been asked a few times if this cooking challenge is blowing the budget and at first glance some of the meals have cost a bit. But the average is probably somewhere around $15 and feeds at least 4 people. Math nerd for a moment- 15 times 30 equals 450. Add on another $100 for household, breakfast and lunch items and I am still under my previous budget. The main reason being I am no longer eating out. The other we are not really buying processed foods. While meat costs are higher for some meals, I have a freezer full of beef so those are already covered. And even if it cost a bit more, it is totally worth it. The fact that I am building memories with my daughter is priceless. We are eating healthier meals. We are sitting down at the table at least once together, everyday. The education factor alone is worth it. Totally worth it!

Note worthy items. A leek, we kept quoting Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, "There's a leek in my boat." It was our first time preparing and eating leek. Wine used pinot noir. Gluten free bread was Udi's multi grain.
I prepped some of the items before picking up the boy from camp as I knew we would be close on time tonight. It was a good call.

#16 Oregon Style Pork Chops with Pinot Noir and Cranberries; Oregon Hash with Wild Mushrooms and Whole Grain with Butter and Chives Topped with Hazelnuts and Blue Cheese.

OMG!! Delightfully delectable. This was like nothing I had ever tasted before and I loved it!
Gold star! Absolutely no leftovers, none.
Will I make it again? Yes, yes and yes!
-Mom

DD decided to do a video journal. LOL

Tomorrow is opening night for her production, The Little Mermaid.  Break a leg darling.

P.S. Anyone that knows where to find red hot cherry peppers, help a momma out.

1 comment:

momteacherfriend said...

I just found out the first 34 recipes in the cookbook are on Amazon "Look Inside!" The complete recipes.
http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-365-Repeats-A-Deliciously/dp/1400082544#reader_B003YJEXU2