Monday, July 21, 2014

#13 Saucy BBQ Chicken Sammies with Potato Salad

 Sammies, I am not sure if the term is a Rachael Ray exclusive but it is short for sandwich. If you have a sandwich, you need a bread. This one called for a soft bun so I decided to make my own. I really need to stop for a moment and sing the praises of Better Batter. It has become my go-to all purpose flour as it substitutes quite nicely in most recipes and their site has a few recipes that have been really working for me. Today, I decided to give the Italian Rolls recipe a try. It mixed up nice into a soft, sticky batter that I spooned onto the parchment paper using a serving spoon dipped in water. I then used my wet hand to give them a little shape. Let them rise for 15 minutes then wash them with egg whites.
 They turned out fantastic. 10 beautiful golden brown beauties.
 There were a few things going on in this recipe. The potato salad, the relish, the BBQ sauce and the meat mix.
 I had never poached chicken before but here it is, chicken in a beer and broth bath. 
 The kitchen was busy with activity from start to finish for this one. But the work was worth it.
#13 Saucy BBQ Chicken Sammies with Pepper and Green Onion Potato Salad
I loved learning the basics of a solid BBQ sauce. Since we try to avoid corn syrup, I sometimes have a hard time finding a BBQ sauce that tastes good and is corn syrup free. I love knowing we can make it ourselves and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. This one was a bit spicy for me but with a little less hot sauce and a little more brown sugar I think we can tweak this to our liking with no difficulty.

No one in the house was a fan of the potato salad. I prefer a mayo potato salad rather than a vinaigrette. The sammie however was scrumptious!
-Mom

I got the job of cutting up the pickles for the relish. I had my mom set some aside for me to munch on. Yum!
The BBQ chicken sammie was so good, a bit spicy but still so good I went back for seconds.
-DD

No comments: