Thursday, March 23, 2006

Deal or No Deal

My dear son came to me with an offering of 17 cents. His little hand holding it up for me to see. "I will give this to you if you will let me stay up." Nice offer but getting out of a nap will cost more than that. I cherish this time. I should have emphased that more. I CHERISH NAP TIME.

DS "What will it cost me?"
ME "Your whole piggy bank!"
DS "My whole piggy bank?"
ME "Yes"

He scampered off to think it over. A couple minutes later he handed it over.

ME "Do you really want to give mommy all the money from your piggy bank?"
DS "All but a penny"
Then he shook out the contents. A mound of riches.
DS "Maybe I will keep the quarters"
ME "All the money or back to bed"
DS "OK all but a penny"
ME "Deal"
DS "I can stay up?
ME "Yes"

I have not counted but it looks like I made off with somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars.
And I could have buckled for 17 cents.

2 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

Age 4 and he's already honing his negotiating skills. Unbelievable. I wonder if he will regret his decision. The privilege of skipping one nap doesn't seem worth 5 or 10 dollars to me.

momteacherfriend said...

After further review the grand total was $6.75

He kept one quarter and one penny.

So far he seems happy with his decision. He now gets to enjoy some computer time.

I agree that I would not pay $6.75 to get out of a nap. Now to take a nap that MAY be worth it.