Sunday, March 26, 2006

Brackets and Other Things Basketball

This year the NCAA tournament has had some crazy twist and turns. Out of good fun DH and I each do a bracket for the tourney. Usually I win. This year I had hope in Michigan State...I am a fan. So when they went out in round one my brackets took a huge hit (so sad.) Then more upsets. And others brackets took a dive as well. Then go figure in the year of the upset no #1 seed made it to the final four. Who would have thunk it?

So both DH and my brackets are dead for this year. Dead; done. And I won. With a grand total of 36 whopping points.

My hubby and I enjoy the spirit of the tournament. Our favorite year was 2000. Michigan State was a number one seed. They were having a great showing. Then came a great oppurtunity. A friend got tickets to the final four. Two tickets. The tickets were actually a final four and final game package. And they were pricey. Our friend wanted one for the final game but needed to sell the others. He called me to see if my dear hubby would be interested. To which I knew he would be. But I didn't tell him about the offer. Instead I bought the ticket and told the friend it would be a total suprise. The morning of the game happened to be April Fools Day. I picked up a t-shirt from a corner vendor. Laid out the clothes then woke him up.
ME: Wake up
DH: Why?
ME: Your going to the game.
DH: Whatever I am going back to bed
ME: No really your going to the game...wake up...get dressed ...he's going to be here soon
DH: Whatever...haha...April Fools
ME: Get dressed...he's going to be here any minute
DH: Who is he?
ME: Mike
DH: Really??? (slight glimmer of hope)
DH: Whatever (still doesn't believe me)
ME: Call him...(throwing phone onto bed)
To which he called...and Mike confirmed the good news.
DH got dressed the whole time saying really, how, where did you get tickets, AM I REALLY GOING TO THE GAME??
He did indeed go to the game. The guys had a great time. Michigan State won and hubby was living it up. Exiting the game they found some tickets for sale from fans whose team had lost...ahhh so sad...no not really. He got a ticket and got to go to the big dance as well. History will tell you that in 2000 Michigan State won the NCAA tournament under the direction of our beloved Tom Izzo and led on the floor by Mateen Cleaves. I can still see Mateen doing his little hoppity dance on his injured ankle. And that SMILE.
That year I won the wife of the year award in the eyes of my man. Good times good times.

1 comment:

knittindaisy said...

how cool is that!!
I actually got to go in 2001. MSU made it to the final four but didn't win. My second favorite team did (Go Duke!!).
It was an absolute blast. I was miserably sick the whole weekend, but you wouldn't know it by looking at me while we were at the games.