Thursday, November 03, 2005

No More Thumb

My dear son has sucked his thumb...forever. Probably started in the womb. His thumb has been his reassurance and comfort for the last 4 1/2 years. Just over 5 months ago we made a deal with him that if he did NOT suck his thumb for a WHOLE day we would take him to Chuck E. Cheese. I had my doubts that this day would ever come...at times I think I even dreaded the whole process. Thoughts of painting fingernails with bitter solutions...didn't sound fun. Good news is...it didn't play out that way. A couple of weeks ago he realized that his 6 month check-up for the dentist was coming soon. The dentist had talked to him about thumb sucking last time and had challenged him to stop. So he started thinking about it...even mentioned to his aunt that he was going to stop. Last Monday his thumb morphed! It was disgusting, peeling and red. Tuesday it was dry and lightly bleeding so we put a bandaid on it. Wednesday night he realized he went the whole day without sucking his thumb and said to me "you know what this means?...Chuck E. Cheese!" Friday night we went and made good on our promise...we had a blast. It was the NO MORE SUCKING MY THUMB CELEBRATION! I asked him how he was able to do it and his response blew me away..."God helped me" "did you ask God to help you?" "YES!" So this process that I had dreaded...he had handed over to God...trusting that He would help him and guide him. HOW COOL IS THAT! He still isn't sucking his thumb...and God is good..I believe his thumb morphing was God's way of weaning him. Afterall he did ask for his help.

4 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

Sarah, this post made me cry. How amazing that this young boy is learning lessons that most adults don't quite grasp yet! It's proof of how good God is, but it also goes to show what a wonderful mother you are. Keep up the good work :)

momteacherfriend said...

I hear ya! Sometimes I ask him what he thinks to get a different perspective. In his innocence he often has it right. Last night we were talking about rejection. I asked him if he ever felt like that and here is the conversation that followed:
"Yes"
"How does it make you feel?"
"Angry"
"What do you do about it?"
"Walk away"

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing when we realize that our children really do grasp God when we think they may not "get it"? How awesome that we are raising our kids to KNOW God.

So many more moments like this to look forward to in life. Now THAT makes me want to cry myself.

WAY TO GO BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!! God loves you!

Anonymous said...

This made me so proud of him! This reminds me of your favorite sounds...a child praying. It's amazing the impact a child can have. How can God not answer their prayers? There's just something about a child's faith...I love you, buddy! .....Milk, milk...what goes with cereal? Milk, milk..