Saturday, November 12, 2005

A New Thing

Shortly after my husband's 10 year reunion I began thinking about how I haven't changed much in 10 years. I am a pretty basic, natural person. I had the same hairstyle throughout that whole time. Sure it changed length but it was always a straight cut, all one length. So on my way to bible study one night I was thinking about feeling frumpy. Needed new hair, new clothes...needed updating. When I got there it was the ladies only...none of our husbands could make it. So after some discussion on this we decided to go shopping. We got to Wal-Mart and I had everyone pick out an outfit for me. Not what they think I would like but what they thought would look nice on me. We had a blast. I tried on things I had never thought of putting together. The truth is I am style challenged. I don't want to be out of date. I just don't see things that go together like some of my girlfriends do. It was a good experience for me. I ended up buying one of the outfits and later that week my husband dropped me off at the door and told me I had 30 minutes to pick out a new outfit for myself. I truly tried to put something together on my own but in the end went with an outfit I had tried on with the girls. So I got some new clothes...and this felt good.
Next came the hair. I knew who I needed call and what I needed to do. A friend came over to cut my hair and I gave her complete freedon to do whatever she wanted. My only request was at least shoulder length. She began cutting and in the end we had shoulder length, with layers, thinned and long slanted bangs. I loved it! That evening I went to a friends house and we pampered ourselves with face masks, foot bathes and make overs. A couple weeks later I actually highlighted my hair (I had never dyed my hair before.) So now I had new clothes, new hair and make-up ideas.
During a Beth Moore study she talked about God doing a new thing. The next day after a Beth Jones study I was praying on the way home and one thing God spoke to me was "Sarah I am doing a new thing here." He had done a new thing on the outside..some much needed updating and now he was telling me it was time for a new thing on the inside. You can read more about that in my post titled Spiritual Growth- Novemeber Archive. But it was cool. I could feel this new thing and it was empowering.
I don't think it ends there. I think he is continuing to do new things in my life. Take this blog for instances. It's new to me but it so blesses me. I dare say a new ministry.
At first I wondered if it was right to want a change. But, I think now it wasn't only right but God-ordained. I know not the plans he has for me but I know that this new thing....it is a part of his plan.
Isaiah 43:19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have such nice posts, I enjoy reading them everyday. You are truely inspirational and the changes in you are obvious to anyone who knows you. Thank you! Karen

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

What a blessing to hear about your "changes"... Can't wait to see the "new you"---glad to know you're still the "old you" in so many ways!