Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Trying Something New

So today at naptime (ha) my children WOULD NOT sleep. Yes I know I yelled that. Did you hear me they would not sleep. At all! I really like nap time. I need nap time. Selfish? Maybe. It has become increasingly difficult to get them to stay in their room for nap let alone sleep. Sure somedays they do. But lately it has been more and more of a struggle. DS nearing 5 probably doesn't really need one. DD almost 2 1/2 isn't ready to ditch it completely or is she? If the 5 year old is up she wants to be up. With that said I am going to try something new. Who knows if it will work. I need to do something though. The plan? Instead of nap time I am going to have quiet time. They will be required to stay in their OWN rooms. They will be asked to be quiet. I will recommend books, puzzles, quiet play, ect. They can stay up if they like, they can sleep. For the amount of time that I specify. The goal is that we each have some down time to ourselves.

Since today was for only a half hour and it failed miserably...we will see how long this lasts.

5 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

Then again...
the converation after "quiet time" was encouraging. They both like the idea of quiet time over nap time. With the time frame set currently at one hour. They both agreed to the terms listed. If they do not follow them they will be in their beds with light off for nap. And they throught this was a GOOD IDEA!!!

Hears hoping for successful quiet times.

Anonymous said...

One of my friends from church has 5 kids and this is what she does. She sends them to their rooms individually to play quietly or do what they choose. Or nap. The baby still naps. They stay in there for about an hour and a half. I think it is a great idea.

heather j said...

Good luck! I will keep that in mind for future! I would love to have a whole hour and a half of nap time. Hopefully he will start taking longer naps now that he is starting solid food :)

Sooze said...

I do that with Gabe...(some times he falls asleep)....it works great!!! He has learned to entertain himself really well. Allie, Ben and I still take naps!!

Kellie said...

That is what my parents did with us as well. We had no option but to sit quietly. I remember that I hated it a first but after a while it was just part of the routine and it wasn't so bad. I agree with Krissilynne, keep trying. Love ya