Monday, April 17, 2006

About Boys

I came across this article today and found it fascinating. If you have kids in school go read it.
http://www.nj.com/living/times/index.ssf?/base/living-0/114526130167610.xml&coll=5

Today at my six month dental cleaning the hygentist and I had a great discussion. We were talking about kids with focus issues and how things are dealt with in the school. Some teachers are great at seeing the kids needs and meeting them. Others have no desire to accomadate these children at all. Often these kids (most often boys but not excluded to only boys) will act out in boredom and frustration. They get labeled or looked down upon. It frustrates me. Boys need to be boys. Kids need recess and play time. Kindergarteners need quiet rest time; remember the mats back in the day. You didn't have to sleep although many did. My dad recently said to me "Quiet time was most of the school day for me in kindergarten. There was no grade just a report of plays well with others." Now we expect our 5 year olds to attend a full day of school and have NO nap(quiet) time.

A couple of weeks ago I met a friend for lunch when trying to decide between going to the zoo or the park her preschooler said "the park! I need to move my body we just sat at our desks all day and worked, worked, worked."

How do we find the balance of work and play in the classroom? How do kids with focus issues get the help they need? Do you think gender schools are an answer? Is "No Child Left Behind" putting so much pressure on these kids to perform, that basic needs are being overlooked?
What do you think?

1 comment:

Mindy Richmond said...

Interesting stuff. Have they really taken naps out of kindergarten classes? Naps are great. You know in Mexico even the adults take afternoon breaks. I'm waiting for the U.S. to wise up.

http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/11.29.00/nap-0048.html