Monday, April 10, 2006

Revelation

I have had a revelation since the last post on self-control. I mentioned that areas of weakness for me are housework, computer time and food. My revelation is this: they are intertwined. When I abuse my time on the computer it DOES affect other areas of my life, perhaps all areas of my life. I realized that over the last couple of months I have been "escaping" so to speak to the computer. Sometimes I escape so I don't have to deal with whining. Sometimes I crave adult intellect. Other times I want to be validated that I am not alone. In doing so I often neglect the very things I am home to care for. My children, the housework, cooking healthy, ect. I realized that the kids would take advantage of my distraction and get into things they should not be eating or doing. Their diets were getting out of whack as they had spent much of the day snacking on junk. Not good. Diets of junk affect behavior. Not good. Time on the computer means less time keeping things in order. Messy house, not good.

So what am I going to do about it?
Do I give up the computer altogether? No I don't believe that I do. I know God is doing awesome things and that this blog is part of His plan. I believe I need to strike a balance. Being aware of my time spent. More importantly my MOTIVE behind the time spent. Am I escaping? Or I am being obedient? Is it frivilous or bearing fruit? My hope is that I have time when the kids are sleeping or occupied in a healthy way. I see how God is working in me. It is work, yet I am excited about it. For I know it is necessary and good.

1 Corinthians 6:12
12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted on this recently as well. About it being the "sand" in my life. What I do, is during my childs first nap it's my time. I can sleep, watch tv, read, clean or get online. But the rest of the day I don't. During the second nap of his, I clean. No questions asked. IF I choose to sleep or something over blogging during the first nap I don't get to use the computer until evening time when my baby is asleep. This helps me.

Also, not that what you are doing is wrong. But you mentioned you use bloglines. I went online last night to subscribe, loved the idea. Then I realized I didn't want to do that afterall. Here's the thing. I DO allow myself to check emails throughout the day, but no blogging unless during nap (like now) or baby in bed for evening. SO, if I got EMAILS when my friends updated blogs I would constantly be stuck to the computer.

I'm sticking with my old way of checking blogs. During nap, or evening I will post my blog first, then visit all the blogs I have time to and comment.

I am a total computer addict if I'm not careful. So this is how I've handled it! :)

Hope this helps?!

Kellie said...

Reading this was like seeing my thoughts put in logical order. I have the same problem. Maybe we all do. That is why you are doing so great with this blog. GOD is using you to relate to all of us. You continue to inspire me and I find that you are doing all the research for the right scriptures and then also praying great complete prayers that are all encompassing. Continue to be sensitive to the HOLY SPIRIT'S leading when it comes to your time. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

hey, i hope you didn't take my comment wrong by the way. i was just telling you how I do it. I wasn't saying you were doing it wrong. sorry if there was a misunderstanding