Thursday, April 06, 2006

Self Control

This week in Living Beyond Yourself we are finishing up the last fruit of the spirit. Self Control. Self control...hmm. Overall, I view myself as one who exhibits self control. Overall. Yet under the surface there brews the lack of self control. My weaknesses? House cleaning, balance of computer time and food. The last one is a new revelation. I have always had a great metabolism. I never put much thought toward food. If I want it, I eat it. Lately I am realizing that I don't need 4 cupcakes. Nor 10 chocolate eclaires. Yet there are days that I do. If I like it, I will eat it. I grew up with the expectation to "clean my plate." This mentality has not helped me. At restaurants I truly feel that I NEED to finish all my food. I struggle with putting the fork down if there is anything left on the plate. With American portions in restaurants it is unrealistic to expect yourself or your kids to finish all their food. Yet I do expect myself to eat it all. I heard once to ask for a to go box at the beginning of the meal. In doing so you can place half the meal in the box; saving it for later. This helps limit the portion to a more realistic meal. Do I do it? I have once or twice and it did help. Why don't I do it more often? I think I receive the meal thinking I will eat until I am full then stop. I get 3/4 through the plate, realize I am full then think there is ONLY a little bit left, just finish it. So I do.

I am excited about this week's lesson. I pray it will shed some light on overcoming these struggles. The first step is realizing what is an issue. The second step is sharing it with another. (I guess I just shared with a whole lot of others.) Accept the accountabilty. Then begin the work and allow God to teach and guide me in these areas. Give it to God and give it to him again. I shall overcome.

2 verses I will be memorizing as a result of this study:
Proverbs 25:28 Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

Isaiah 58:12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls; Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - GOOD ONE !!

I especially appreciate the verses, as I have struggled in this area my whole life and have just this year given it to God. I'm so proud of your openness to the Holy Spirit and his "nudges". Keep your Spirit ears on BABY !! YOU ROCK !

Tracy said...

I've always struggled with self-control. But God showed me something and I've been able to implement it in a couple areas of my life. I always seemed to check with myself "how I felt" about the decision I was making. I'm learning to say, "who cares how I feel about it. Just do it." And I'm enjoying the fruits of that now. God showed me that the enemy uses comfort and emotions to keep us from doing what's right or what needs to be done. I felt I was "up against the wall", but now I know, I DO have the control over these things!