Thursday, April 27, 2006

Giving Heart

Little did I know that today when I accepted an invitation to join a friend at the park all the lessons I would learn. Let me share with you. As we got ready to leave my son asked for his SAVE envelope. This is where he places all the money he is saving. After receiving a chunk of change for his birthday he purchased a hockey stick and some handcuffs; that's all he wanted. He put the remainder in the envelope. Today he asks for it and I give it to him. I have made no mention to him of what he wanted to do with the money. I have not suggested purchases nor have I said to save it. It is his money and I have trusted him to do what he needs with it. I know this is not normal to do with a just 5 but that's what we do. So he gets his envelope and takes some money out of it. I think he is just taking some along for the trip to the store. WRONG. He tells me "I have a twenty and a one in my pocket." My reply "OK are you taking it with you to the store?" DS-"NO, I am going to give it to Kaitlyn and Kyla." ME-"Your going to give them $21 of your dollars?" DS-"Yes!" ME-"OK, if that's what you want to do. Is that what you want to do? DS-"Yes." I am curious so I ask "Why are you giving them money? DS- "Because I want to. Do they get money?" I shrugged my shoulder and said "I don't know, I don't think so." He said "I am going to give them the money $20 for Kaitlyn and $1 for Kyla." I was perplexed but didn't say much about that. Although I did say maybe they should share it. Then it came out that he felt God had told him to. The Holy Spirit is speaking to my five year old...and he is listening. Awesome!
So we go to the park we meet our friends. I make a few trips to the bathroom with kiddos. We share lunch. The kids play. The moms talk. Then we all go swing. I ask him if he is still going to give his gift. He jumped off his swing in excitement and tells Kyla stop swinging (Kaitlin was at school.) She looks at him not wanting to stop swinging. I smiled and told her he* had a gift for her. Her eyes lit up and she slowed down the swing so she could get off. DS went digging in his pocket and brought out the money. He placed it in her hands and said "This is for you and Kaitlin; 20 for Kaitlin and 1 for you." Kyla was so happy she was holding money and it was for her. Their mom looked at me and said "did he just give her money." "Yup $21." "You mean my daughter is holding on to $21." "Yes." "Wow, why?" "He just wanted to give it to them." I filled her in on some details and told her I wasn't sure why he was insistent on who got what but added maybe Kaitlin is believing for $20, I don't know but do with it what you need to do. I do know that I learned a thing about my boy. He loves Jesus and wants to follow him. That he hears from God and desires to obey. That he has a giving heart. He gave with JOY, he was overflowing, just mentioning it he bubbles up and smiles. I have prayed that my kids would have giving hearts, that they not hold on tightly to possesions in this world; seeing it in action blows me away.
When dad came home from work he shared it with him...no regrets, still full of joy. DH asked him what he was saving his money for and he told him "a pool for the back yard." Sowing seeds like he did today I do believe God will bless him. Perhaps with the desires of his heart ...that pool. When asked how long it would take him to save for the pool he said "684 years." and he is willing to wait.

There was more I learned that I will share later...
And don't let me forget to share my story about Eli from this weekend.

God is so good.

4 comments:

Sooze said...

That is so cool!!

I would love to get him and Gabe together. Although, I am not sure how two first born males would do together....they might end up plotting to take over the world or something....or just boss each other around all day.

Kellie said...

I think that from what I have seen Sarah's son is plotting to take over the world. You, know, for CHRIST.

Smile!

Anonymous said...

I read this with tears in my eyes! What a sweet, tender heart he has. Praise God for the work He is doing in your little boy!

Anonymous said...

what an awesome little boy you have there. Great story.