Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Proverbs 23

Proverbs 23 has much to say on parent/child relationships. Yesterday I had a frustrating afternoon. DD's emotions were on overdrive. DS was on the look out for mom to be distracted (which I was.) Neither wanted to take a nap. It was not necessarily a Momzilla day. But it was not a fun day. It was the kind of day where you think to yourself....if everyday were like this I would surely rather be working. And let someone else deal with them. (wink) So I found it interesting that this morning I was led to Proverbs 23.
12 Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.
13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.
14 Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death. [
c]
15 My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad;
16 my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right.
17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD.
18 There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.
19 Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.
20 Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat,
21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
22 Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
23 Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.
24 The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.
25 May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice!
26 My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways,


What I took from it: Keep in the Word and listen to it.(vs 12) Don't give up disciplining them, mold them, guide them. It will not hurt them to be firm.(vs13) It will save them from worse consequences and/or death.(vs14) Encourage them to listen, to make wise choices.(vs19) Listen to my dad...(Hey pops any words for me?) and respect my mother. (vs22) Pursue wisdom, discipline and understanding (whatever the cost) and then hold on to it. (vs23) Hopefully I am making my parents glad and give them great joy.(vs24,25) It is back to the issues of the heart. Keeping your eyes on Christ. (vs26)

So these precious ones ARE my responsibilty! I am to stay at home and rasie them. Not go out and get a job. LOL

No comments: