Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Green Bean Routine

One of my families favorite memories from my childhood is what we jokingly refer to as "The green bean routine!" My mother had prepared dinner and it included green beans. I hated green beans! I do not like them Sam I am! My mother in her wisdom required that we at least try everything on our plate. So there I sat with three grean beans on my plate. The rest of the table was excused. I sat there. OK OK! I complained and I whined; pretended to throw up, pushed them around my plate and cried. They have an audio tape to prove it. I tried everything to get out of eating those three now mushed and mutilated beans. But my parents held their ground. I would NOT be excused until I ate them! So I held my breath and choked them down in horror. Moment over. Done. Excused. My dislike for green vegtables confirmed. I decided that all green vegtables must be horrible so I fought eating them. Spinach, peas, green beans...nope didn't like them. Then I became a vegetarian. My dad thinks it is hilarious that I actually became a vegitarian disliking vegtables. I liked carrots, potatoes, corn and hmmmm? I think that becoming a vegetarian was good for me (Note: I am no longer a vegetarian, although I was for nearly two years.) It taught me to at least try those things I had despised. I found I actually did like green beans, spinach, lettuce, artichoke and many others but I still don't like peas. So the other night I made green bean casserole, YES I actually made it in my own home. And the funny thing is I enjoyed it, immensly. I could have ate the whole pan by myself. There was some leftover. I just finished them off. DD just came over and asked for one, took one bite and spit them out. I just had to laugh.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I don't like canned peas too much, frozen peas aren't too bad, but fresh are a different world! And taste so good.
Same with green beans, canned are good, that's what I grew up on and were my favorite, but fresh beans take the cake. They actually taste like two different vegetables to me. Plus, fresh have so many more nutrients.
Although the only downside is you can't stock up on them in your cupboard. :)

Anonymous said...

Now that you have a fence, you can grow your own !! Green beans, and peas !! Like Kari said - fresh peas... mmmmmmm

momteacherfriend said...

I have noticed a big difference from canned and frozen. I like frozen green beans and snow peas. But do not like canned peas. I would probably enjoy fresh peas. We shall see.

Anonymous said...

I don't care who ya are, now THAT is funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how things change, I still remember the day that happened, it was HILARIOUS for a spectator, (probably not for you though) and now little girl spits them out, are you gonna sit her at the table and make her eat 3 of them...LOL just kidding. I am sure she will eventually love them like you do :)