Thursday, February 02, 2006

In The Midst of a Fit

Last night DD was overtired and emotional. Now I need you to understand that that statement is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I began to get her undresed for bed and she begins to protest. "Shirt on, mommy!" The further I got in undressing her. The more intense her plea to be clothed became. She was crying and repeating "Dress and shirt on." Over and over. I tried reasoning. Do you like your shirt? It's time for bed. It's time for jammies. I know your sad. I tried calm responses. It was not working. I struggled to get every limb into her pajamas, the whole time she is insisting on getting dressed again. It was an hour and a half past her bedtime. It was not an issue of was she tired; the girl was overtired! With jammies on I tried to sing to her to calm her. "I don't like that song, mommy!" I tried another and another. "I don't like that song, mommy!" Do you want mommy to sing to you? "No!" I had just returned from bible study and the topic of the evening had been and I know you are going to smile....patience. By this time DS was ready for bed and about to climb up in his bunk. I stood in the doorway of his room, still holding DD who is still wanting to be dressed. I said let's pray, now I didn't go into DS's room I kind of stood there in the doorway. DS sitting on the floor, DD on my left hip. And I prayed. "Lord, please send forth your Holy Spirit to us. Help us Lord to have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfullness and self control. Lord Bring peace to our home. Help me to have patience. Help us to sleep well and draw near to you. In Jesus name Amen."

The fussing continued on for a bit. I put DD to bed. She got out. I disciplined. I put DS to bed. Returning to DD's room I went and sat on her bed. She looked at me with sad eyes and said "You make me sad!" I know. I took her hand and held it. She began to relax. The whining ceased; the crying stopped. Her face changed to contentment. I held her hand! I had to get up for a moment and I knew she didn't want me to go. I told her I would be right back. I went back in and held her hand some more. Her eyes fluttered. The rambunctious puppy joined us. And with one hand I held onto her and the other petted the dog and tried to calm her as well. It was a challenge but I stayed. I laid my head on her chest and listened to her heartbeat. The beat was fast. I kissed her cheek. Moments later; sleep cometh! Peace in the home.

This study is doing some refining in me. On Monday I had one of those days; days I refer to as Momzilla Days. The kind of day that brings out the worst in me! Frustration, lacking in patience, short in my tones and words. Momzilla! Then yesterday I lose my keys for what seemed like an eternity. Again frustration! The phrase this is driving me crazy kept coming to mind and out of my lips. I tried on my own for about 20 minutes to find them. Then I prayed. Then it took a whole hour longer to find them. After going to the bible study last night and receiving the teaching we did I can realize God is refining me. He is bringing out the worst to show me I am still capable of being ugly. There is still much to be improved. These trails are suppose to be there! They are revealing in me what needs to be changed. Ridding me of pretenses that I have it all together all the time. Keeping me humble? Beth Moore brought up the concept that those hard to deal with people are there for a reason. They are suppose to be! That it is not only for their benefit that we are in relationship. It is not just for the mature to teach the immaure. But God uses them in our lives to smooth out some of our rough edges. That we need these people in our lives. As she said and I quote "I need you to frustrate the devil out of me." There is conflict in relationships and this is a good thing. "Conflict plus commitment promts change."-Beth Moore We need that change. I need that change.

Thanks God for holding my hand when I am in the midst of a fit and bringing calm to my life.

1 comment:

Kari said...

"Patience is a virtue" is an understatement!
It's hard to watch children work through their emotions and learn from them.
You are a good mom!