Thursday, May 11, 2006

Training in Action

I had a dream this morning; early this morning. In my dream my five year old was driving our vehicle. I was in the car giving him directions. I was calm, like it was no big deal that a five year old was driving in public. I told him when to get over. Stop. Slow down. Go around this or that. It was on the spot training. At one point in my dream I remember looking ahead and he was riding to the far right, where cars should be parked at the curb. It was then that I thought, he is doing really well listening to my instructions, but maybe he needs a little more training before he is out there doing it. So we pulled into a parking lot and there was a timeout for instruction.

End of dream. Well sort of...then I dreamed there was a hang out of sorts. I got the feeling it was a young adult hang out, perhaps a tattoo shop. Not sure exactly, just young adults (17-21.) We went in, hung out for an unknown time. When we got to leave I over heard a man say "There is a presence of angels." I looked around and I could see a spiritual battle going on. The place was a place of darkness and they did not want the light to enter in. For when we came in we brought the presence of God with us. I began to pray. Then we left.

That was the end of the dream.

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
-Pablo Picasso

This morning the above quote was a highlighted quote of the day.

Overall, we are parents that are laid back. We let our kids do things that other parents won't even consider letting their children do. Such as climb. My son will climb anything, anywhere, anytime. Besides restrictions of personal property, or destruction; we let him climb. It is not uncommon to see him perched on top of the swing set. Or up in a tree. He is an excellent climber. He can out climb teenagers. I have seen him do it. He does know his limitations. He is safe. When I read this quote this morning a few things came to mind. We learn by doing, even if we don't feel like we have enough experience to do it. Somethings are only learn by jumping in and doing them. DS learned to climb because he has climbed since he was 6 months old. His skills have progressed with his experience. The more he climbs the better he gets. By the way, little girl is also a climber. At 2 1/2 she climbs up to the highest point of the swing set, hangs briefly then puts her feet back on the bar. My first instinct was to rush over and help her. I did rush over and put my hand behind her but did not touch her. Oh I was ready to catch her should she slip. Yet she did it. She continues to do it. Each day getting a little stronger.

I feel like God is showing me that he is my trainer. He is the voice telling me which way to go. When to stop or slow down. When to go around an obstacle and how. There are times of training. Some are on the road, sometimes at the side of the road. He is showing me that we are a light for him. Wherever we go we should bring his presence with us so that even those in darkness can recognize the light. It doesn't matter if you are a babe or elderly. Age is not a matter to Him. He will use children to show us simple truths. To keep climbing. Respect the guidelines but climb, climb, climb for Him. Each day striving to be closer to Him. That he is near me as I stretch my wings. He is standing by, ready to catch me when I stumble. The more I trust Him and continue to act in faith; the stronger I will get.

No comments: