Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Accomplishment

Yes, ladies and gentleman, for the first time in 8 years of marriage I did it! All by myself. I mowed the lawn using the riding lawn mower. Yippee!

It has been raining for nearly a week. Which is good. We needed rain. Today it was nice. Which is great, I love nice! The grass was getting shall we say...long. The yard has always been hubbies domain. Which is fine with me. I don't mind. With our schedule filled for the remainder of the week and threats of more rain, the best time to mow was today. I had a choice. Ignore it completely and hope the neighbors would do it for us. Or do it myself. I started out thinking I will just push mow the front yard. That way it will look nice for the neighborhood. So I went to the shed to get the push mower. Which was trapped in the back in front of the rider. I thought to myself, "hmm, self...you can start it and move it back a bit to get to the push mower." So I sat on the rider and looked it over. Pressed a few levers and clank, clatter, sputter, stall. No go. Not wanting to kill the rider I decided to put it into neutral and push it back enough to get to the push mower. Success. Well, sort of. I noticed that the wire to the thingy was not attatched so I reattatched it. Pulled and ...nothing. Sigh. If I was going to get anywhere I was going to need help. Time to call my hubby. DH was more than happy to instruct me on starting the mower. The thingy was the spark plug, with some adjustment there, we were up and going. Front yard done in no time.
I called Hubby to share my accomplishment. Then he gave me a tutorial of how to use the rider. He actually gave me the go ahead to use the rider. So I thought to myself "Self...it would be nice to get the back done as well. I can try, if it doesn't work out, hey at least I tried." So I put all the gears in place, foot on brake and whallah...it started. I backed it out of the shed and it seemed to be shuttering. Hmm..black smoke. Not good. Something was not right. So I turned it off and got the phone. 2 seconds into our conversation our hubby had already diagnoised the problem. I forgot to put the choke back in. OOPS!! He had mentioned that, oh well. So I tried again. Suprisingly it works really well when you put that little choke thing back in place before trying to drive it. So off I went on one BIG loop around the back yard. Upon completing my first loop I realized I forgot to put the blade into action. OOPS. So I had a free ride around the yard, no biggie. I dropped the blade and whallah, it cut the grass; go figure. I weaved my way around and around, back and forth. Not bad at all. Then it got closer to the house. A little trickier but doable. Move climber and table. Continue on. Then it was done. WooHoo!!! I called hubby to share my accomplishment. He was thankful. It was done. Well, kinda. I got the push mower back out to finish the corners and around the kids area. It looks so beautiful. I did good.
Although, hubby just called and said "Now, you can mow the yard."
What have I started?

8 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

The lawn looks awesome! Great job!

I mowed our lawn once. Mike was very appreciative, but never asked me to do it again. Apparently I had missed more than a few spots. It's the same reason I never ask him to do the dishes!

Christy said...

And that is a big yard girl... I did mine several times but I got bored of it quick last summer :)

Anonymous said...

Now that you are all practiced up .. Just kiddin

Bek said...

it looks great. :) impressed. i just used a regular lawn mower for the first time this year. :) i didn't realize how hard it would be!

Jada's Gigi said...

I love mowing the lawn! and yours looks very nice. I love that free yard sale idea...I actually had tears in my eyes reading about it.

Overwhelmed! said...

Good for you! I actually LOVE mowing lawns, I used to do it for our neighbors as a kid for extra money.

Your lawn looks quite nice!

Seeker4Christ said...

Awesome! You ROCK! I can't wait to get a house so we can mow! I love the yard work. Well, no. I don't love the work, but I love how it looks and its a great feeling of accomplishment knowing you made it look good and it doesn't hurt knowing other people drive by your house and say "Wow! That yard looks nice!" (C'mon! You know you've said it about other people's right?)(This is how I remember it from our old house, anyways!) Would you consider doing a veggie garden or flower garden with all that space? Your kids would probably love to help(?)Again, Great Job! Chalice

momteacherfriend said...

We do plant a garden. It is behind the shed. That peice of machinery you can see just past the shed is the rototiller. Almost time to plant.