Thursday, May 11, 2006

Interview With Pastor Brad Mitchell

Brad Mitchell is currently the senior pastor of Trinity Church in Lansing. Before coming to Trinity he was on staff with Willow Creek Community Church as Director of Men's , Prayer and Sport's Ministries. He has also served as a pastor for 9 years to a small church plant, Evangelical Free Church of America in Alexandria Minnesota. That started with six families and through the years God has blessed.

When did you first know you were called to be a pastor?
When I was in college at Wheaton College of Chicago, I was in a men's singing group of about 40 guys. The summer of my sophomore year we went on a six week singing tour in Europe. We sang at Notre Dame; packed out. We sang at Grossmunster Cathedral; packed out. We sang at some places that were big but empty when we sang. One place we sang was a town called Lyon, France. There were 40-50 of us and there were 35 people who came to hear us in a huge cathedral. It really didn't affect any of us, we knew we were singing for God, so this was fine. But I really sensed the Holy Spirit speaking to me that the church in America was probably two or three generations away from the very same thing that had happened in France. These once full cathedrals that were now almost empty. And the church in America was heading for this same kind of demise. And that I was to do everything I could to build up the church in America. Which is kind of strange because you would almost think "Well, your in France, the call is to build the church in France. To reach people for Christ over there." And that wasn't it. Well then you go "did I really hear from God or did I just eat a bad croissant?" Kind of wondering if it was true or not. So I ended up bouncing it off of people. But when your with Christians and you think your called to ministry everyone is going to go "That's from God." No one is going to tell you no that I don't think God is calling you to ministry; everyone is going to affirm you. So I needed to give it time and space and seek out other wise counsel. I knew the next thing for me was to go to seminary. Now I thought I may come out and be in the market place but be a better trained person in the market place and still be involved in building the church. So it was kind of steps of progression for me. So it was seminary a time for preaching classes and those were good. Then it was time for my internship and I still wasn't sure what was next. But in the internship I felt confirmed and called further. So it was ongoing progressive revelation. So far I haven't felt uncalled and it has been 18 years, so I think this is where I am suppose to be.

What is the hardest part of pastoring a church?
The spiritual warfare! It can come from all different fronts.
Is that on you personally or the church as a whole?
Personally! When you ask the hardest part, it's personal. Because if there is a bull's eye on a church, the pastor's the center of that bull's eye. So that I think is the toughest. The enemy will use circumstances, he will use people, he will use anything to bring discouragement and distraction. So that would be the toughest for me.

Which leads me to the next question. Overall, in your time at Trinity have you been encouraged in your role here?
Hmm. That is a loaded question. In many ways I have, I have seen just incredible spiritual growth in the congregation. And that has manifested itself in a lot of different ways that are trackable. I have a number of people come up to me and encourage me. Whether it's cards, or notes or comments. That means a lot.

What are some practical ways a person can encourage their pastor?
There are so many pastors...I am sitting in a really neat congregation, a really neat church. And I don't say this in a bragging way but just in a self awareness sort of way. Trinity is in the top 1% of all churches size wise. But I have been in a church of 35 people so I know how difficult it can be; where you have to do everything, be everything and slug it out. And I think one of the best ways a congregation can minister to their pastors is empathize as best they can with what they are carrying, instead of take it for granted. And then to think proactively about how they can best honor, support and refresh their pastor. I don't think anyone understands, unless they have been there in the seat of leadership, how lonely leadership can be and how draining it can be. So, it takes the proactivity of a congregation and the leadership of the congregation to be thinking; "Does our pastor need a couple extra days away" "Is there anything we can do to give them some space." "Let's surprise our pastor and give them a Sunday of not teaching, and we can line it up and set it up." Now, I am just thinking out loud here; this is not something I am looking for here. But those are the kinds of things. Gift certificates, watching the kids, get a group of people to mow the lawn and do some of the outdoor chores for a pastor so he doesn't have to worry about it for a week or for a summer. Those are the kinds of things that will allow for moments of refreshment in the life of a pastor. Often times a pastor is seen as a hireling. You know, our tithes pay your salary pastor, you live in our parsonage (I am not in a parsonage,) and you are kinda here to do our bidding. But he's not, he is there to do God's bidding. Sometimes churches confuse that and they don't really hold their ministers in the right respect. I have been around enough, to see enough congregations disrespect their pastors. To know that's an important component. The healthiest churches are the ones that can keep a pastor for the long haul. And they really need to see their pastors as their greatest resource to treasure and take care of.

How do you balance work and family?
Poorly!...There's the answer, not the one I want to give you. In fact, increasingly it has been difficult for me to do. Heidi, my wife and I, we really work hard as a team. Our challenge are some of our own problem, because we are both type A; driven, personalities to accomplish a lot. I really try hard to not do any work when I am home and my kids are awake. So when I come through the door, I come through the door prepared to be with them. To be with Heidi and the kids. To talk. To be a husband and dad. Not to bring the stuff home with me. If I have extra work that needs to be done, and often I do, I do it at night after Heidi is asleep. I will sit up in bed with my laptop on my lap and I will work until wee early morning hours or do what it takes. But I am not going to sacrifice family time for that. I really do try to guard my day off or time off as much as I can. It doesn't always work. That is where I say poorly, when it comes to time off, there really isn't any. Because the work is never really done. Now here at Trinity you do not do as much of the hospital visits and stuff? NO NO!! You don't have as much of the unexpected interruptions? No I do not have as much of the unexpected. I have a lot more the oppressive other stuff, that comes in. My work... just even with email and correspondence alone is 4-6 hours a week, of just trying to keep up on that. And I don't do that very well. And then you have got on top of that 20 hours of message prep, then you have all the meetings. Not even counting Sundays. So it adds up very quickly.

What are some personal disciplines that keep you grounded in your faith?
One of them is, monthly I try to get away for a day of some fasting and prayer; a day of solitude. Then I try to do one if not two weeks a year, that is more of a study break but that is also an extended time for fasting and prayer I will do about 3 days of fasting and prayer during that time as well. So far I have only taken one study week a year. I am allowed two, I haven't been able to fit them in, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. How about daily? Then on the daily thing, I journal regularly. That is not quite daily but journal regularly. I read scripture everyday. Pray, I have got my prayer list and things that I work through. But really trying to ever listen to God. Part of my spiritual growth isn't just a devotional time, but it is trying to be sure I am engaging with God. That's a big piece of it. So you have got solitude, fasting, time in scripture, time in prayer and journaling.

What are you passionate about?
The right answer is Jesus and that is true! But if I am taking it down a level I think it would be my family. For Heidi and I, it's 23 years of marriage coming up next month. Our kids! We have a son that is just graduating from high school. And our daughters are awesome. So it would be family. Things that I enjoy doing, which I would lump into that. I love travel, I just love travel. I enjoy seeing new things and meeting new people. And I enjoy golf.

This last year God has been showing me the importance of obedience. In both things big and small; the routine and the ridiculous. What is the "craziest" thing God has asked you to do? or say?
I am not a flambouyant, wild and crazy guy. So it hard for me to come up with the craziest thing I have had to do or say. But sometimes the craziest things to me are the steps of faith or promptings that God gives me in a moment. For example: I was on a flight, two weeks ago, coming back from California. I was seated next to a fellow that just seemed very anti-social. So we didn't talk, he had his back turned to me, it was just the two of us sitting next to each other. He has his back turned to me and he was reading things. It was an hour and a half flight. On our way down I had to turn off my computer, we are descending. I sensed the Holy Spirit prompt me to ask him if he was heading home. Well I already knew he was heading home. I peeked over his shoulder and saw his driver's license as he looked at it. But this is what God was prompting me and I argued with God for a moment about it. And just decided alright we'll go for it and see. And this is one example; a recent example of something. I just said "So are you going home?" And he turned around and said "Yeah, I am." And that opened up a fascinating conversation. That not only went all the way through landing and another half an hour as we waited for a luggage. Which then led to an awareness of where the man is at spiritually, and people in our congregation who know him. And who knows, long term, what may come out of that. But it was a fascinating conversation with him and it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't asked him the question I sensed the Holy Spirit was pressing on me. So the craziest thing...is just joining him in the adventure everyday.

What would you say to one who is a believer?
There are so many things seeking to take your eyes off of Jesus. And not remove him from your life but remove him from the center of your life. Fight to make sure Jesus stays at the center of your heart, of your desires, of your passions, of your disciplines. Don't let anything crowd Jesus off the throne of your life.

What would you say to one who is seeking to know and understand the truth?
God promises if you seek him you will find him if you seek him with all your heart. So this is the most important thing you could ever devote your life to, is the search for truth. So give yourself 100% to it, stay focused on it. Seriously investigate the claims of Christ. My recommendations are some books. The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel. The Case For Faith by Lee Strobel. More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Those would be key works for you as a serious seeker of the truth. If you are a casual seeker of truth or you are just saying it in word. Then you really need to do some introspection because your eternity hangs in the balance on this. And it is worth all your effort to get this one figured out. Because if you get this figured out right. Life will be better and your eternity will be sweeter.

Favorite verse:
Joshua 1:8-9 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Favorite CD:
Hard to call..I am kind of eclectic in my music taste. I like all kinds of music. Country, rock, oldie rock, worship. Right now I am listening to Travis Cottrell's AliveForever. My favorite is Trinity How Great You Are. That's my favorite. Yeah forget Travis, I am enjoying him but my favorite is the Trinity CD.
Favorite Song:
Christian: My Hope Is In You from Trinity CD
Other: Takin Care of Bussiness by BTO
Favorite Hymn: Holy, Holy, Holy
Favorite Book: Bible
Current Reading: Breakout Churches by Thom Rainer
Recommended Reading: Anything C.S. Lewis, Too Busy Not To Pray by Bill Hybels and Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.
Simple pleasure you enjoy: Sitting in a boat on a lake or walking on a beach.

Is there a particular verse that stuck out to you this week and how is God using that in your life?
Ephesian 6:12 1For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms
I have been real mindful of spiritual battles at work. Trying to be discerning of what is a spiritual battle around me and what is just human junk.

Is there anything that you would like to say that I have not thought to ask?
I like the proverb above all else guard your heart it is the wellspring of life. That goes back to my challenge to Christians.
No I don't think so. This was fun.

Thanks Pastor Brad for your time. For your heart for Christ. Thank you for leading in such a way that brings Glory to Christ. Gods richest blessings!

Those wishing to send a thank you or word of encouragement, you may send it to
Brad.Mitchell@TrinityWired.com

Editor's Note: I have never given an interview before. All bold and italics print are my words and questions to Brad. This was a face to face interview. The text is true to our conversation with minor grammar changes. Links have been added to aid in further investigation, they are highlighted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW ... That was a great interview. MUCH food for thought.

Kellie said...

First, great job in your writing this. Second, I am so glad that you were able to spleak to a "celebrity." Third, most important, thank you for listening to the HOLY SPIRIT when HE asked you to do this. I love that you have a desire to obey. It was great to get insite on what Pastor Brad is as a person and how that person is really so connected with the spiritual person. You can tell that GOD is a reality to him. That is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I was wondering...does Pastor Brad have a large yard?? I do think we should have an appreciation day for him. What do ya think? Nice job!

Kellie said...

I agree with Karen. Lets brainstorm. What can we do for himand his family that they can reallyuse and appreciate?

Noel Heikkinen said...

Good stuff.

Daniel said...

So I read this a while ago and realized I forgot to comment. Regardless, it's good stuff. Pastor Brad is pretty freaking awesome and quite Christ centered, of which I am a huge fan. That is really all I have to say at the moment, but good work regardless!

Daniel

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I really enjoy your blog! Thanks for your honest heart and truthfulness, it is refreshing to hear someone be real. Its cool to read about real people who serve Jesus.

I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download. Anyway, don’t want to be a pest, I just thought that I’d share.

Thanks,
-Sean
_____________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
“All my music is free.”