Friday, April 13, 2007

Last Tri Class

Apparently I have not posted much about my training in the last month. Oops. I have been training 5-6 days a week, going between the three disciplines of swimming, biking and running. When I started about three months ago, it was all a struggle. I could go one length of the pool doing a forward stroke. Then I would either stop or roll over. My first day of the triathlon class you can read about here. It was hard. I remember feeling short of breath and having to sit down at various parts of the biking.
On Tuesday we had our last swim class. We worked on sprints. 10 sprints with 10 seconds recovery. I never knew 1o seconds could go so fast. The we worked on counting our strokes to see how many strokes it took to go one length. Then we tried to reduce the number of strokes we used. I need to work on my efficiency. After seven weeks I can go a continuous 200 yds or 8 lengths. A huge improvement from my starting 1 length. I am going to test this today and see if we can go further the the 200, which I believe I can.
Last night, it was the last class for the bike/run portion of the class. I am pretty sure she used the same sound track as the first time we did the class. Which means the workout was the same or very similar. It was a great gauge to see how far I have come in the biking. For the last three weeks I was able to complete the routine without scaling back or sitting down. I noticed my breathing was easier and more even then the starting day. Woohoo!
On the first night of running we ran a base mile. My time was then 11.29. Eleven minutes and 29 seconds. Last night we ran the mile again to see how much we had improved. I ran it in 8.50. Eight minutes and 50 seconds. I dropped 2 and a half minutes off my time. Yippee! I had the most improved time in class. Woohoo!

For the next six weeks I will continue my training on my own. Balancing the three disciplines and pushing myself to do better and worker harder. I am excited when I think of the possibilities. I know I can do it. I believe I will be successful in completing this triathlon. How hard I work in the coming weeks will determine the times.
My goals are to swim the 400 completely forward stroke in a time under 10 minutes. To bike the 10 miles in 45 minutes. To run the 5K in 35 minutes, preferably all running. That would make the total tri time 1 hour and 30 minutes. The elite athletes and winners of the race will probably finish in under an hour. I will be ecstatic to finish and finish well, for me.

Updated: I forgot about transition times in the above goals. Since I have no idea what to expect and how long it will take me to go from one to the other I will add 5 minutes to my total goal time making it 1 hour, 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you've worked hard and the results are showing. Great job!