Monday, August 25, 2008

A Word To You

The words of Rick Warren are ringing in my head.
"It's not about you."
So much of this world and life in general is not about you. Or me for that matter.
So why are these words resonating in my brain?
The band reunion.
An absolutely fabulous time. Reconnecting. Remembering. Honoring. Laughing. Enjoying one another.
It was beautiful. No who's who in business. No who makes the most money or drives the best car. No judgment. Which brings me to it's not about you. I think those that came knew that this band reunion was not about them. It was about remembering an era. A band that accomplished great things. Honoring a mentor and friend that brought out the best in all of us. It was about coming together again as the band. Some did not come because they did not get that. I think they thought it was about them. They think that it mattered that they gained weight or didn't end up in their dream job, it doesn't. It does not matter one bit to me.
I don't care if you are:
overweight
underweight
poor
rich
bald
gay
unemployed
homeless
a stay at home parent
single
married
or divorced.
Things things do no matter to me. And to be honest with you I don't think they mattered to anyone there. We were all just so thrilled to see one another again, that these things just did not matter.
We were the band. We were more than a band. We were family! We still are.
And I surely hope that the next time we get together, that ALL of us will be there.
I really truly do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No truer words have been spoken and I want to thank you for saying them. I, for one, was rather nervous about attending...especially with my girlfriend. But the open arms that received me and the fun that was had by all made me remember that family will always be family, no matter what.