Saturday, January 07, 2006

What Is One To Do?

This morning I found myself traveling on ICY roads. The going was slow and slick. I was on my way to a Chrysalis meeting that was to start at 8:30am. At 7:45 a semi truck jack-knifed a half mile ahead of me. Things came to a halt then a snail creep to an all out STOP. The truck took up every lane of the highway! So what is one to do? For the first few minutes I kept my foot on the brake ...waiting. I could see the front of the truck but had no idea the truth of the situation. Then I put the Jimmy in park and waited some more. I opened up my bible and read all of Timothy. I turned on the radio hoping to hear a traffic update. No dice...the Light has gone to pre-recorded messages and syndication. So I listened to some music for a bit. I chatted with a man who had gotten out to survey the situation. It appeared that there was no other vehicles involved but the semi was jack knifed. Still no tow truck but an officer was now on the scene. It was comical watching the people who got out of their cars. They were literally skating on the ice. Someone came asking me to pull over a bit to make room for the tow truck, which I did with caution. So finally the tow truck arrived parking in the emergency lane next to the semi. And still I waited. I asked to use the cell phone of a trucker...called DH and had him call the church where the meeting was to let them know of my delay. At this point it was 9:15 and I was most definately LATE. More news came that the tow truck was stuck and they were waiting for a salt truck before they could proceed. So I prayed, meditated, wrote down some of the desires of my heart and waited. The salt truck arrived, made a few passes including down the stretch I was in. The tow truck goes about his business of getting the semi truck out of the way. And at 10:13 nearly two and a half hours later we were finally moving. With caution. I made it to the meeting safely. I arrived home safely. All is well. I actually didn't mind being frozen in time. Unable to move. It isn't all that often I have 2 1/2 hours TO MYSELF! So what's one to do? Relax and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Sooze said...

I must say, I'm jealous.... 2 1/2 hours to YOURSELF!!??