Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Child Abuse

As a part of the youth retreat in March I underwent Child Abuse Prevention training on Saturday. It was horrifying and sad the statistics and evidence that was shared during that class. In 1998 3 million cases were reported, 3,000 children died as a result of abuse, 1 child is abused every 10 secends. There are 5 primary forms of Child Abuse; physical, emotional, neglect, sexual and ritual abuse. 80% of perpetrators know their victims. URG!! It really iritates me!
Last night DD got a goose egg when she was bumped into a chair by her cousin who was running enthusiaticaly around her. It was so sad. It was instantly swollen and she wobbled over to me and passed out. I have never seen my children do anything like this and it was very freaky. I put frozen green beans on her bump and cuddled with her. I checked her eyes and they were dialating fine. After observing all night she is fine. She tells you I bumped my head..with a pouty lip. My kids and their noggins! It was sort of intimidating going shopping with them all banged up. You never know how other people will react. No one was suspecting or rude but you just never know. It made me thankful there were witnesses to both of the incidences that occured. It made me sick to think that someone may think I had hurt them. And even sicker to think others DO intentionally hurt children.
I guess I shall close with possible signs of child abuse.
  • Hostile and aggresive behavior
  • Fearfulness toward parent or adults
  • Destructive towards self or others
  • Burns, facial injuries, patterns of repetitious bruises
  • Unexplainable fractures or bruises inappropriate for child's development

They did explain that young children often have bruising on head, arms and legs normal to development. And to look for bruises of different coloring or stages of healing.

Other signs include:

  • Depression or withdrawl
  • Severe lack of self-esteem
  • Failure to Thrive
  • Speech or eating disorders
  • Inappropriate dress for climate
  • Begs or steals food; hides food
  • Untreated Medical conditions
  • Poor hygeine
  • Unusually advanced sexual knowledge
  • Promiscuous behavior
  • Runs away from home and refuses to return
  • Frequent headaches, stomach aches, fatigue
  • Fear of the dark
  • Nightmares

Obviously children may exhibit some of these symptoms and not have been abused or neglected. But if you feel that a child in your presence, care or circle of influence is being abused notify the proper authorities. Abuse must be stopped!

No comments: