Monday, January 01, 2007

Shh..Don't Tell My Hubby

First off the following information is highly classified. If you read it you are making a commitment to not speak a word of it to my hubby until further notice. If you are willing to refrain from conversation with my husband on the following you may read on.
Hubby is currently out of state. Yes, I rang in the New Year without my midnight kiss. Well, I got a kiss, from my 5 year old son, who stayed up to midnight and beyond. So while he has been out of state, I (with help) rearranged the living room. It was established before he left that we would be getting furniture from my father-in-law (FIL.) Cute dark blue leather. More formal than our ripped up, side falling off polyester couch. So on Saturday the new couch and chair arrived. We passed on the recliner and kicked our old couch literally to the curb.
Before he left hubby planted the seed that he would like to see the computer desk moved downstairs and a cleaner, more formal look for the living room. The desk always seems to get cluttered, try as I may to keep it cleaned off. It takes a matter of minutes to cover it with papers. And then toys from the kids and things we try to keep out of the dog's reach. And...you get the point. So I took some time to think about it and decided to do it.
My brother and sister-in-law helped move the new furniture in and after my FIL left they looked at me and asked if I was going to do it. And that they would help me if I wanted. So I set to sorting through the junk on the desk and shoving some of it into totes. Undid the web of cables to the computer and printer, unplugged. We brought the desk down and our entertainment center up. We completely changed the look putting the TV on a different wall and the couch and chair in places they have never been before. We moved around some wall decorations. Arranged DVD's. I set the computer back up in its new place, my BIL drilled a hole in the bedroom to reroute the phone line so I would have my internet. Thank you , thank you!
Things are falling into place. I still have some totes to sort through and things to organize but I must say it looks really good.
So what will it be like having the computer out of the daily buzz? I will have to be deliberate and time conscience of the time I spend here. Who know's we may play a whole lot more down here in the technical playroom. We may actually do school down here where the cabinets of school supplies and a table are already set-up. I may actually workout more and get used to the cooler temps that I find myself in. Nothing a good blanket can not cure. I do know it will help my be more disciplined. Because if I don't see it, the less likely it is that I will check email compulsively throughout the day.
It also means that I may not always hear the IM one may send. So I am thinking of only signing in to IM if I am at the computer or downstairs. I still have my phone upstairs. I will still be available just in a different way and under different circumstances.
I will let you know how it goes.

Remember don't tell my hubby. I want him to be surprised. And the likely hood of him reading this post is 1%.

Happy New Year!
May God bless you and your families in 2007!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boy was up until midnight as well. You'll have to show your son the picture on my blog of him.

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to see your living room! I am so excited - I wish you could have seen my face while I was reading it!

Karen Hossink said...

You always manage to say something that makes me laugh. This time it was the comment about your hubby reading your blog.
Mine actually read my blog this week while he was gone. I suggested he do so, to have a better idea of how "things" went without him. Ahhh - he'll be home in about eight hours!
I'm glad you've made it OK without your hubby at home. And accomplished interior re-design to boot. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Haven't you been busy?!? Shew!

Anonymous said...

I am an organizational junkie. Nothing makes me happier than to take a previously messy space and organize it. Friends have told me there is medication for people like me. LOL

Anonymous said...

You should post photos, or at least email me one!