Saturday, January 27, 2007

Heinz 57

Privacy...is coming to a home near you. My kids are to an age where I am expecting more privacy. For far too long bathroom trips have been a whole family affair. My son knows far too much about womanly issues and well, I would like a moment alone from time to time. So my husband and I have mandated Privacy Law 101, "If the door is shut you must knock and wait. Do not walk in without permission." Now if I could only teach this to the dog as well. I may have to resort to locking the door.

Little girl blew me away this week at the YMCA. We were playing in the kid's gym and I went to hid in a tunnel mat. I ducked down then peeked out to see where see was. She went to the rock climbing wall and began to climb rather quickly up the wall. Usually I am right there holding her waist as she goes, this time she was 5 feet up before I got to her and I was very proud of her accomplishment. She is turning out to be quite the climber. It is fun to watch as she gets a good hold and muscles herself higher with her upper body strength. I think she has learned a few things from her brother.

I had a visitation from a cleaning angel the other day. My mom was planning on stopping in to give something to my son. Before long we were cleaning little girls room. When that was done she went to work on the kitchen, then the basement, then the living room, then she started in on my bedroom. Three hours later we had the house looking great. With things in order she dropped me off at the YMCA so I could workout, she is such a sweetheart. She took the kids on an errand while I got my cardio workout done. I love you, MOM! Thank you.

I had a moment of brillance early this week. The kids were fighting, whining, bickering back and forth, irritating. I really do wish they would get along and that every day would be filled with nothing but love and kindness. This has yet to be a reality. The other day though in the midst of their meanness to one another I demanded they go sit on the couch. Once on the couch I told them to hold hands. That it was time to get along. Dear Son cried, he did not want to be on the couch and HE DID NOT want to hold his sisters hand. Dear Daughter looked sweetly at him and asked him to hold her hand. He refused. I told them that they would not eat dinner until they had held hands for 1 minute. I walked out of the room and little girl called out, "He's holding my hand." I came back in and he quickly removed his hand from his sisters. Oh so I see how it goes, he can be nice to her but not in front of anyone. I walk out. Again he holds her hand. I find it somewhat amusing. I go back in and he lets go again. By now they are laughing. I tell them if they can hug they can get down and eat. They give each other a HUGE hug and all was well. I think this may have to be practiced continuously. It is good torture for a 5 year old boy.

I am currently in first place in weight loss on Operation Can. More on that later.

6 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

More than any spanking I ever got growing up, I remember Mama making me and Cecil, my youngest sister, hug and kiss each other after fighting and bickering. Oooh, that almost killed my soul! We were almost teenagers at the time and I think that was the last time Mama really had to get onto us about fighting.

Woo hoo!! on the weight loss! You go, girl!

Happy weekend, S. ;-)

Karen Hossink said...

I really like the hand-holding idea. Brillance!
Somehow I can't imagine it working with my kids, but I may try it anyway. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Privacy - yah we need to start that soon too. Your post gave me the push to take the steps and make it happen. I liked the idea you had with the knocking on the door if it is shut - very simple for a kid to grasp.

I also enjoyed reading about whats been going on.

Your mom is great! You are so blessed to have someone so special in your life. I love to read how your mom and dad play such a big role in your children's lives. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Many years ago, when my children were small and would sometimes fight, I made them hug, too. It was a good thing. My son became his sister's protector. I am sure you will find the same with yours. Moms have to be creative with punishment techniques.

Overwhelmed! said...

O, I fear I'll never have privacy in the bathroom again! Snuggle Bug joins me and, if I don't have the door closed tight, one of our cats will saunter in too...leaving the door wide open. A

nd now that I'm in the very beginning stages of potty training Snuggle Bug, he wants me in the bathroom, sitting on the big potty, while he sits on his little potty. I can't wait for the day when HE wants privacy too! :)

Lucky you having your mom come and clean your house for you! My MIL does that for me when she stays with us and it's such a blessing!

I love your solution for fighting siblings. I'll have to remember that one.

Donna said...

Good idea!! And yes GREAT job on the weight loss!

privacy would be nice! My son( he is only 2) thinks that if I go in the shower he needs to be in there with me, I love the few showers I get alone!!