Friday, January 12, 2007

Whole Hearted

A new mindset.
No more half hearted attempts at things. If it is something I want to do, I AM GOING TO DO IT. I don't want to just "try" to live a healthy lifestyle. Either I am going to do it or I am not. So if I choose to do it, I AM GOING TO DO IT. If I want to lose weight, I will. If I want to wake up in the morning, I will. If I want to eat healthy food choices, I will. Because it is a choice, and I am choosing to do it. Completely, whole heartedly, committed. The same goes for things I don't want to do. If I don't want to do it, I think about what I do want and do it.
The bible talks about the luke warm. Neither hot nor cold. A on the fence, uncommitted approach. And the Lord said he does not want us to be luke warm. He would rather we be cold than luke warm. In fact he dislikes it so much he said he would spit us out of his mouth. He is talking about our faith and commitment to him. But does not everything we do reflect our love of him. In all things we can glorify God.
So why do we get stuck in ruts? Why do we not succeed at things we are struggling with, be it weight, addictions, bad habits? I think it is because we are neither hot nor cold. We say things like, "I am going to try." Or "If it works it works, if not, oh well." "I am going to do it someday." We lack commitment. We lack a strong desire to see it accomplished. We lack a pure and perfect heart.
There are things that I have not yet commit to. And things that are for right now, today. And for those things, I will succeed. I will do it because I am choosing to put my whole heart into it.
The other day in my weight class, we were discussing some of the pro's of doing a workout as a group. Some replied with "I just would not do it by myself." I have been thinking about this the last couple days. And I guess I am to the point that I am going to do it if I am the only one. If I have to do it all by myself. I am doing it. I will take responsibility for getting myself to the gym daily and making the most of my time once I am there. I will take responsibility to eat the right foods, whether my family chooses to do the same or not. (Currently they are.) I have made up my mind and I am giving my whole heart to achieve that which I have set out to achieve, including becoming more and more Christ like.
Only good can come of it all.

1 Chronicles 28:9
"And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever.

Revelation 3:15-17
15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are well on your way to better things. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have been encouraged by your posts.

Always reading, even if I don't always get a chance to comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. You are right!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Every action a person makes is by choice.
Thanks for the "thought of the day".

Bek said...

i think that is a great mindset, if you can do it. me, i've failed so many times at committments that i've i become more of a "i'm desperate. i can't do it." kindof person. which by itself is bad news. but when i say, "okay, come in power in my weakness." it ends up being pretty darn good. that's just me. more power to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, yep and yep! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I wish i could have ur mind set. For some reason i am very weak when it comes to good food, i LOVE it. And sleeping i love that too. i need some one who is going to kick my butt, and matt has tryed but he just cant seem to say no to me.i mean its my fault i know his weak spots. How do u get the mind set. I need to work out and eat healthy. I have started slow and i have more furit in the fridge but we still eat out to much. I NEED HELP WHATS UR ADVICE.

momteacherfriend said...

Bek-
It is totally a relying on Christ to gain strength. I am really beginning to tape into all things are possible for those who believe. My hearts desires are being birthed out of his will and his desires for me. Drawing on the strength of the Holy Spirit to bring about change in my areas of weakness. For greater is He that is in me!

Anonymous- That is exactly the same conclusion I have come to recently. Everything is a choice. We choose to do it or we choose to not do it. But we made a choice, it did not just happen.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I hope that this is a positive step for you! =-)