Wednesday, January 10, 2007

This Does NOT Work For Me Wednesday

It's was almost bedtime and we were snuggled on the couch to read a few books before bed. What could go wrong? I read a cute book about being five, DS though it was great; he's five. Then we went for ABC A Family Alphabet Book. Nice little ABC word play. All was well until page two. B is for Books. Harmless right? Until you read the sentence below it: Our moms read out favorite book to us at bedtime. I rub my eyes and try again. No I did read that right. Our moms, meaning two moms. I alter the word use to make it singular and continue on. Page three, C is for cookies. Screech, wait a sec, this book is not right for it reads: Both of my dads know how to make great chocolate chip cookies. I begin to thumb through the pages and it is all of same s*x couples and their kids. I look at the back cover and it reads "celebrates alternative families" Oh yippee!
Apparently the publishing company Two Lives publishing is "creating books for children in alternative families." Good to know. I didn't think I would have to screen books listed for ages 2-5 so carefully. Now I do and you do too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for passing on the publishing company so everyone is aware.

Anonymous said...

My daughter brought something similar home from the library this summer. This from a small town in a very conservative area!

Anonymous said...

I ran into a similar situation this last year. A company (www.wrybaby.com) that we've bought many baby gifts from for our college friends started making outfits that say "I love my moms and/or dads". I've been quite torn because we love their stuff but I don't want to support their belief in this matter.

Anonymous said...

I have a question -
How did you handle this with your son? When you stopped reading it did he ask why? What was your explanation. Just curious, and would like to learn from your experience incase I am ever faced with this type of situation.

I've had to stop reading books in the past (not for this reason) - usually because they include magic or wizards and I tell the kids it is not something we want to read because it does not honor God. Othertimes, I may say it is not appropriate (depending on the material). Other times, I may just switch words if I think they are rude, demeaning, or just wrong! I can only do that for so long..they will be reading soon:)

Thanks again for sharing.

momteacherfriend said...

I actually continued reading, alternating any plural moms to just mom. All the pictures depicted them as couples but for some reason he did not catch on to that. I wonder if he thought that it was two families in the pictures. I did not ask. I did not really want to go there, so I did not abruptly stop or I did not make any note of it. I just swithced out any word use I did not agree with.
WE WILL NOT BE READING IT AGAIN! That's for sure, it will be finding it's way back to the library TODAY.

momteacherfriend said...

I do stop any books with wizards or witches. And he understands that, it is something I want him aware of. At this time I really do not want to introduce same s*x unions. So that is why I skipped over it without addressing it.

If he would have asked, then that would have been one thing but to him it was an ABC book and that was that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply - I think that was a good way to handle it. Definately a topic you don't want to have at such an age. I am glad that he didn't notice and they didn't have any obscene pictures!

You are such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Are u kidding. no offence but that is kind of funny. but thanks for the heads up!!! but still laughting a little.