Monday, September 11, 2006

You've Been Doing What??

I have been roofing! Yup, it's true. And you know what? I love it! Yup, I do. A long time ago, before I had children, I worked in barn restoration. We did steel roofs, structure stability, siding repair, complete take downs with barn raisings on new locations. Construction in many different ways. My favorite being, roofs! I love being up high, I was born to climb. So when a friend announced that he was raising his roof and completely redoing it. I wanted in. I am not so sure anyone took me seriously at first. Except my hubby, who knows my love for heights and has seen me in action. He knew. The others would discover.
Friday was demo day #1, deshingling. In four hours a friend and I had all the shingles off and in the dumpster. With rain forecasted for Friday night we stopped there. The owner of the home got all the siding stripped down three feet from the roof for the new supports.
Saturday, I had an all day meeting. So no roof for me. But most of the guys from our small group and a few friends of the owner made it out. They pulled off the boards, took down the old trusses and took out the ceiling. Demo day #2 complete.
After church yesterday, we ate a quick lunch (McDonalds,) changed our clothes and dropped off the kids to my sister-in-laws. Then it was off to work. With demo complete it was time to build up the new walls. My first assignment was to move a pile of wood. Done. Then I was asked to get a board. Then nails. As the middle wall support was coming in, there were some old nails in the way. Matabo time. I cut those babies off. Then as the wall came in who was there to nail it in, me, baby! Hammer in hand, I toed in the wall. It had been a very long time since I had truely nailed something in. I was a bit rusty. Oh well, it happens when you walk away from something for years. Yet things do come back to you. After that I was on the wall. Raising the roof. I think my feet hit the ground only two times after that for the remainder of the day. I hit too many nails to count. I drilled holes. With the new wall raised, it was time for the trusses. With the pros on the outside I took the center and in went the trusses. Progress. I think that is what I love about construction. Seeing things come together, progress. While we finished with the last of the trusses, my man, braced the roof with 16 footers. I love seeing my hubby in action. WooHoo. With trusses in place it was time to tarp it off. The sun was going down and rain was predicted. Imminent really, the sprinkling had already begun. We nailed down the tarp and I taped off noticable holes. Then it was off the roof.
With a sense of accomplishment. There was a roof there that had not been there in the beginning of the day. Everyone had a part of it. The work of many hands.
Today, I come back to my world. Stay-at-home mom. Teacher of my children. Yet I hope to escape away again sometime this week and get my feet back on that roof. Because I truely do love it.
Sorry, no pictures. I forgot the camara. Just imagine me with my hair pulled back and black stocking cap on and grubby clothes. Boots and a tool belt. Not so pretty folks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the project went so smoothly and you were able to "show your stuff". I am also glad that I was NOT there to watch-I have never been able to watch you up in the rafters without being a little concerned for your safety. After all-you are my baby!!!lol The guys working on our roof this weekend said-I am a typical mom-watching out for everything and everybody. I guess that will always be a part of me.I agree with you on the sense of accomplishment you get working on a project and seeing things come together.After 150& man hours-our home has a new roof that will withstand the elements for many years. I think it's ironic that your project was at the same time as ours! Maybe I should have asked you to do the roof and saved some money! lol Have a great day! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am very glad that you got to do that. Myself that isn't something I love doing but I am glad you do and that you were able to "strut your stuff"...oh, you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL. This reminded me of a time many, many years ago when a group of friends gathered to help a widow reroof. We had a large group and one of the guys dropped his hammer thru a hole in roof and into the attic. They were about to go inside and climb thru the access when I had an idea. I called for my 6-7 year old rather skinny daughter. Up the ladder you came ... then me holding your ankles into the attic YOU went. Hammer in hand back up you came. I know for fact you were the only gal up there that day but you managed to help in a way none of us men could. I think it's in your blood.

Anonymous said...

maybe not so pretty, but loads of fun for sure.
sounds rejuvenating to flex unused muscles and skills every once in a while.

Kellie said...

When I have a celing and electricity I will post pics. I have a great one with... well I won't spoil it. Hope to be able to get home this week and clean before the kids come home. I am so greatful for the sacrifice that all of you have made for us. I was just thinking about how this will affect all of us and our families. Wives-Mothers left home to fend for themselves.

Thank you very much. Love you