Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Survival Skills

Last night in small group we got around to a very interesting subject. Survival skills. How would we fair in a wilderness like situation? As Americans we are so ignorant of basic life skills these days. For one, some think they will actually die without a cell phone. Now most of us would not sign up for Survivor willingly, a million dollars or not. Some of us would. All of us could desperately use a little survivor class 101. I am not taking about camping with every luxury. I am talking about how would you do if you were in the woods with let' say a flint, a knife, a rope, a shovel and a gallon of water? Would you have the slightest clue how to make it out alive? Lets take a little skills inventory, shall we.
Do you have knowledge of the following? Have you ever done it?
Make a fire from flint
Water purification by boiling
Make a shelter
Plant indentification- edible
Skin wild game
Prepare wild game
Fishing- alternative methods
Elimination pits
Care for clothing
Trash elemination
Animal education
Knot tying
How did you do?
I have basic knowledge of most of it. Ever done it, not really. I do have a book that tells you everything you would need to know. Is a book true experience? No.
As we talked it was interesting the different skills and knowledge in the room, how it came together and complemented each other. One knew edible plants, another shelter making, another animal skinning and prep, ect... sounds like the body of Christ coming together to me.

So I think I am going to conscientiously work at the above skills. Perhaps even give this survival thing a try. Anyone want to join me?

5 comments:

Seeker4Christ said...

Hmmmmmm.....>:} sounds fun! when? Where? what would we do with the kids? ( I doubt we would make it very long with little kids. That would be too much of a shocker to me. I think I'd want to try it myself first with adults.) How long?
Ya know, I have always dreamed that this would happen!!!! Seriously! That one day we would all come together for some community living! Would it be like Survivor?! Sign me and Curt up! Sounds very exciting! Don't know about the voting off thing, though. I know for sure that I would be the absolute first to get booted off ~ I am loud, opinionated and don't really have any valuable, usable skills to bring to the camp. I would probably get mad because Curt would be kept around for quite awhile. He is pretty good at the roughing it thing. Getting voted off would really hurt my feelings. So maybe we shouldn't do the voting thing. Plus I wouldn't want to hurt others feelings. These would be people that we know and have worked at establishing life-long friendships with, right? Exciting!!!

Kellie said...

Great! I still like the idea of trying it out. And seeker has a good idea of making it an event. I can still feel the excitment in your words and now you have passed it on.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I can do most of those things, S. I'd hate to know I had to start right now, though. It's 98F right now, heat index is 105F. It's absolutely miserable for man and beast! Hope it's cooler for y'all up there. :-)

Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

If you are concerned about the Middle East situation, the Bible says, "Fear not." As the words of the song go, "His eye is on the sparrow...and I know He watches me."

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have experienced all of these in one form or another. I can trully say it wasn't all fun, but to this day I try to use the skills taught to me as a child. Your friend from the south, and in Christ