Thursday, July 27, 2006

Prayer Request...Dog

I have a friend that is sensitive to the spirits leading. This morning she called and asked what I needed prayer for, she felt like the Lord had laid it on her heart to call and ask. I rattled off three things immediately, because I was indeed needing some prayer.

One of the issues is my dog. I am done with it. So done. It has destroyed more than I could even list here on this blog. She chews, digs and is more aggressive with the kids than I am comfortable. So is stubborn and does not follow even the simplest of commands. The kids say they love her but spend more of the day getting away from her than anything else. I am set to get rid of her. Soon. Hubby is agreeance. Little girl agrees. Dear son, goes back and forth. One minute he wants her to stay the next he wants her to go. It is hard to make it final. So today I have decided he has to spend the entire day with her. If she goes out, he goes out. If he is in, she comes in. He is not to put her in the crate or abandon her in any way. I think by the end of the day we should have a decision made. Please pray for us to make the right decision.

If we keep her she needs to go through some EXTENSIVE training. I mean EXTENSIVE training. I am afraid that her habitis in this house are so bad she will be unresponsive in this enviroment. I do believe she could be traine, by someone with the heart for dogs and the ability to spend long periods of time in training. We shall see...

Update:
We are going to give it a week. During this week we are going to give it 100% to this dog. She will be under the CONSTANT supervision of either my son or myself. We will attempt to get her to respond to commands. We will watch over her with eagle eyes allowing NO chewing, NO digging and NO untolerable behaviors PERIOD. If we are sleeping she will be crated, if we are awake and home she will be with us. If we see noticable results at the end of the week, we will keep her.

Today I actually got her to drop the ball. Remarkable! So maybe there is hope.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pup is trying to tell you something...One - she's a puppy and all of that behavior (although annoying and needing to be curbed) is normal - except the aggression towards the kids. "Why" is she aggressive towards them? Do they yell and move fast?
The answer (in addition to obedience training) is consistency w/ your own training and LOTS more attention. All of her "symptoms" are attention-seeking. Try a walk per day, and rewarding the good w/ fetch or something. Give her a nyla-bone to chew on. Believe me, having 2 is 10 times the work...:)

Mindy Richmond said...

Vicki is exactly right! Glad to hear you're going to give it more time.

Anonymous said...

we had to get rid of ours too. she reminds me of the same. we got rid of her before the baby was born.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad about the update! Puppies are just puppies, and they learn from us - really. I'm glad you're giving it a week, and I'm sure you will see improvement. Just remember - sometimes it takes more than a week of great training to see a change. It's consistency 100% of the time, even after that first week!

Anonymous said...

One little history lesson:::CHEYENNE

Anonymous said...

Puppies are just like children. They seek attention, love and approval. And it is just as much work with puppies as it is children! I remember when you got your first dog-Buddy, And he was with you constantly-at first. Then the novelty wore off, school started and poor Buddy was lost!He would stand at the back door and whine for you to come home! I found myself consoling a dog for hours. And I learned from that experience-dogs love and forgive unconditionally. It all takes time and patience. So give as much time as you can, find and reward the positive things, and LOVE this creature of Gods.