Sunday, July 09, 2006

No Boys, Just Girls

These are the words of my little girl yesterday. We dropped her brother off for a sleepover and we were off to the mall. No boys, just girls. So we decided to do girly stuff. Now for you to understand better you need to understand that I was actually afraid to have a girl. I considered myself a tomboy of sorts. I like to climb, I am not afraid of dirt or bugs, I don't carry a purse and hair and makeup have never been a priority to me. So I give birth to a girl. I had girlfriends that told me they would do her hair, that comforted me. Now this little girl is growing and embracing the fact that she is a girl. And she loves it. She loves having her nails painted. She loves having her hair done up. She loves dresses and feeling oh so pretty. She cares for her babies and carries around a purse. YIKES! Not to mention she is fond of the color pink. How did this happen, that a girl of mine would be so.....girly? Perhaps it has been that God has been doing a work in me. He has been speaking to me about feminity. I am a woman. And slowly I am beginning to act like it and maybe even look like one. And you know what...I am totally ok with this. A few months ago God placed a ring on my finger and told me I was beautiful. I have not taken the ring off. It reminds me that I am a woman and to my Lord I am beautiful.
So back to my date with my little girl. The mall. First stop the gumball machine. Not that girly but this is her date so a gumball it is. We split it and continue on. Limited Too... she has her mind set on some new nail polish. I took the display down off the high shelf and set it on the floor so we could have a look at them. So many colors. She chooses an orangish pink and a light blue. She took her purchase up to the counter and set them down. The lady behind the registered smiled. It was pretty cute. With new polish in the bag, we walked out of the store, plopped down on the nearest bench and painted those nails right then and there. My nails got a new look too.
With nails dried we got a root beer. Then strolled down to Old Navy. i found a cute outfit on sale. Still more than I normally pay for clothing but it was oh so adorable and DD picked it out. So new outfit. Somehow we managed to pass by Claires and Children's Place and found ourselves at Mrs Fields. We picked out our cookies. By this point she was beginning to tire. I carried her back to the car. This was her date and she was ready to go home. Well she wanted to swim still but she was done shopping. Which was fine with me. On the way home we sang songs and laughed. A mile from home she fell asleep. Thank You!!! I put her in her bed. Got cozy in mine and began to read the bible. I stopped half way through and took a nap. How sweet this was..it has been awhile since I had an afternoon nap. I woke up and finished the reading.
Little girl woke up from her nap, happy and refreshed. And anxious. She was ready to swim. We packed our bag and headed off to the Y. Where we got to use the ladies locker room. A first for DD as we usually use the family one. No boys, just girls. We had the pool to ourselves. This never happens. It was so much fun. DD decided to try out a swim belt. Going into the "deep pool" she was kicking and kicking. Another little swimmer. In no time she will be all over in the water.
After swimming we decided it was time to eat. Her choice..tacos. Perfect. We went to Famous Taco. I love Famous Taco! We had our fill of chips and salsa and shared a combo meal. Tostado, taco and beef burrito. Yummy!
A perfect end to a perfect date. No boys, just girls!

5 comments:

heather j said...

How fun:) It made me smile the whole way through the post! What a precious memory for you and your DD.

Anonymous said...

I remember the days of young when you were freaking out about having a girl! LOL Now look at her....on her FIRST DATE, and I bet it was even daddy approved! *G* Just wait until the dating comes in about 13 years! LOL

You make me smile! Thanks for reminding us we really should do dates with our kids! :))

Anonymous said...

OOPS! I didn't mean to leave that last one anonymous! Tee hee

B

Tami@ourhouse said...

Thanks for your comments recently on my blog. I have my first girl after two boys, and am enjoying her so much... I am looking forward to when she is old enough to spend 'girl time' with.
-Tami

Seeker4Christ said...

so sweet! :) I would like to see a picture of the ring. :)