Monday, May 14, 2007

Hike Bike Run Swim

How I chose to spend Mother's Day.

First the hike as we went out as a family and found 4 geocaches. Grandma came along for the last two.








In the evening I met up with some of the other athletes from the tri class at Hawk Island. This was the first time for many of them to even be at the park so it was a great way to view the course. We rode the bike route, they rode the full course. I cut 2 miles off and met back with the leaders just seconds before them. We rode the run route on our bikes before putting them up, the jog into the woods is very short, I had wondered about this. After securing our bikes we did one full lap around the lake (1.5miles) I ran it in 15.32, Which I was pleased with. I want to keep the run on race day under 35 so this pace was under that. One of the guys did his furthest run distances yet and we were all very proud of him. Actually I am proud of everyone. We were all curious about the water temp and since I had on my trisuit to try it out I said I would go in. J said he would if I did. He thought I meant put our toes in but no I meant in IN. We both did it. Initially it felt like ice water. Then it didn't seem that bad. I dove in and took a few strokes. Wishing I had my goggles J retrieved his from his bag and we both gave a go of swimming in the lake. First time breathing with your face in the cold it catches you. But not terrible. The water is MUCH clearer than I anticipated. I am so thankful I got in and did it. I now know I have nothing to fear about the water temp on race day. We were in for 8-10 minutes which will be the length on time it will take to swim the distance. Not even a slight sign of hypothermia or concern so I say it's a go. No wetsuit. The lifeguard said they had not yet taken a reading on the water temp so he was not certain of the actual temp. I may take a thermometer back today and see what it is now. It is only going to warmer, expected low 70's for race day.

That is how I chose to spend my day. Family and friends. Geocaching and training. Call me crazy but it was an awesome day.

1 comment:

KelseyChristine said...

You are an amazing Mom and I'm happy you had such a fun Mother's Day! The pictures are beautiful!