Monday, December 04, 2006

The Owner

Before I had my babies and before I worked on barns, I worked at the same company my husband does now. So the company christmas party is often a mini reunion for me. Seeing technicians and their wives. Meeting the new employees. Many of the same employees that were there when I was there are still there and many new have come. It has been interesting for me to see the progression of the company. When I was there the owner of the company was very much involved in the daily grind of the business, it was not uncommon to see him daily. Sometimes several times a day. Fastforward to now, where the owner has stepped out of the daily operation of the business. This year as we were enjoying the company of those at our table, a new hire had still never met the owner. Another at the table had been there a year and said he had seen him maybe six times in that whole time. This really surprised me. In fact they were so distanced from this man that they didn't know his full name. Then there was my husband and I who have established a relationship with him throughout the years. And even though I personally have not seen him in a few months, it was no problem to converse with him. I know the names of his kids, his interests, his church, ect. As does he know the same about our family. There is a relationship that has built throughout the years.
Last night I was really thinking about this dynamic. And I could not help but see it in light of Christ. There are many that enter the holiday season knowing of the Savior, they have heard he exists, but they have never met him for themselves. Then there are others who have met him. They could recognize him in the room, but don't know much about him. They see him a couple times a year, perhaps Christmas and Easter. They may even call him if they need help. Then there are others still that make it a point to stay in relationship with him. They know his name, his interests, they love what he loves and take an active role in keeping close to him. They are comfortable around him because they KNOW him. A servant of the King, yet a child of the King as well.
As the evening progressed I found myself thankful for knowing the owner. That there was a relationship beyond a yearly visit. The same goes for me and my God. Ever thankful for relationship.

No comments: