Friday, December 29, 2006

Confession

Yesterday as I was on my way to the YMCA I was speeding 5 miles over the speed limit. This is not the confession. I was driving along when across 4 lanes of traffic a brave squirrel, a bit fat from his fall harvest, darted. This brave squirrel quickly became a dead squirrel when he hit my front left tire. Smushed, smashed, thump, dead. The kids were oblivious to the fact that there mother had taken a life. I repented quietly and drove on. This morning as I went to the Y I had to drive past the crime scene. The evidence was still present, flat with many tire tracks, but present. As an attempt to make peace, I left our fattened neighborhood squirrel a treat on the back porch. Bird seed and peanuts.

2 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

You can't see me, but I'm smiling! We have a black walnut tree in our back yard which is home to LOTS of squirrels. They are all precious to my kids and receive plenty of goodies each week. (Elizabeth took the popcorn string off our Christmas tree tonight and hung it outside for them.)
And we have a dead one down the street. Joshua is mad. He says he saw a big rock with blood on it by the squirrel's head and is just sure someone threw the rock and killed the critter.
Glad your kids aren't aware of your transgression. Some things are better left unknown! :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch...I remember hitting a rabbit once on accident and it is a very sad experience. Glad your kiddos didn't have to experience that at such a young age.