Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Molding a Child

Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his actions, by wether his conduct is pure and right.

This verse struck a cord this morning. I so want my kids to be known for being respectful and kind. I want their hearts to be pure and right. Sometimes it is a challenge molding my kids. This week I had to change the game plan for DD. I had become ineffective in disciple and guiding her. She is a persistent child. She asks for something and then repeats over and over raising her voice gradually to unwanted decibals. The old response. "DD stop!" "DD I can hear you.." Until I was frustrated and raising my voice as well. This method was not working. The new way. "I want crackers." Mom stops and gets down close to DD and answers. "DD would you like crackers?" To which she answers. "A huh" Then I respond yes or no depending on the circumstance. It is amazing how effective this has been. She feels understood. I feel peace.
While it is not easy training up children I know it is my responsibility. They have been entrusted to my care. I will not give up, I will perserve. I will teach, guide and discpline. I will seek the Holy Spirit to show me what to do. I know the effort is worth it.

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments: