Monday, December 26, 2005

Before, During and After


Christmas Eve is rich with tradition. Our family attends service at our church. After service with donuts and drinks in hand we go driving around looking at Christmas decorations. Looking for stars, Baby Jesus, Rudolph, candy canes, angels and snowmen...til we have had our fill. Then it is back home we go. Every Christmas Eve the whole family sleeps in the living room under the Christmas tree. We pull out our mattress, blankets and pillows...pop the popcorn and snuggle up.

With baking still to be done I awoke before the others to make cinnamon rolls and pumpkin pie. DD woke up to watch me bake but the boys were snoozing. At 8am I tried to wake them with the glow of the Christmas lights. DS asked me to turn them off; he wanted more sleep. Can you believe it...a kid on Christmas asking to sleep a little longer. With my parents soon on their way I let them sleep for a few minutes longer. Then it was up and at 'em. I love the excitement of kids with presents. How they smile with their eyes and sheepishly giggle. It was a delight watching them open their gifts.

The day continued with a visit from my parents and a trip to DH's parents. The testing out of new treasures. Playing games with family. It was a wonderful day!

Looking back over the day there are a few observations I made. Kids are not necessarily greedy. Mine were thankful. It doesn't matter if you spend hundreds they are content with simple pleasures. This year we followed the rhyme "something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read." You never know how it will be received until it happens but they were very pleased with their gifts. And we didn't go into debt providing it. We stuck to our budget and paid cash. It's a good feeling. Maybe my kids are easy to please....DD's favorite present was a bag of animal crackers from Grandma, DS a small remote control car. Whatever it may be I am thankful.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I like that tradition of sleeping around the Christmas tree. It's sounds like such a good bonding experience, one your kids will treasure as they get older.
I often think about what traditions Mark and I will start as our family starts to grow. I really enjoy traditions, it's probably my favorite part about the holidays, and am saddened when some fade away.
But, it is fun trying to start new ones. :)