Sunday, April 06, 2008

Technology Fast

Interesting term isn't it...technology fast. You may be asking yourself, what does that mean? Well, I am glad you asked. For the next week my family will be taking a fast from technology. Turning off the TV, unplugging the computer and leaving the cell phone on the charger.
Next, you may ask, why? Again, good question. At church this morning, the pastor spoke about the distraction in our lives. The pace of the American people. We are a busy people that dread silence and slowing down. We live our lives at full speed with more distractions than we know what to do with. I personally feel like it contributes to the physical and emotional state of our nation.
So the pastor challenged us to turn off our TV's for the week. To literally turn them around and hid the remotes. A technology fast.
For my family, I have decided this will include all forms of technological distractions. The computer, this blog will be silent for a week. Fear not, they still make paper and I will attempt to journal our adventure. The TV is quite literally turned around, the dish card removed and placed with the remote, out of sight. The video games and Leapster, unaccessible.

The kids response-
Little girl- WHY? That will be so boring.
The boy- Attended service and heard the message. He willingly embraced the challenge.
Little girl is now open to the idea since it is only a week. But I am sure she will feel the effects of it.

I am thrilled! I look forward to a week of learning, playing in the outdoors, reading books and cleaning house. And perhaps even a nap.

If anyone wants to get a hold of us, call, write or drop in.

See you all in a week!

1 comment:

Scott Booker said...

That is a GREAT idea!! I think that too many times in our lives we let that technology run our days and nights. And TV is always on in our apartment!! I think this idea should be spread across the world...and that everyone should try it out!!

I think I will be!! THANK YOU!