Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How Our First Day of School Went

Yesterday, my children were up, on their own before 8. We ate breakfast, did our morning chores. At 8:30 they were asking to do school. Woohoo. First stop outside to take a first day of school picture. Then it was in to begin.


To start our day, we put on the music and had some praise and worship. We danced, we sang. Then we prayed for our day. After that we put on the armor. There is a simple song I learned at a conference a few months ago, so we sang it.
Standing on the Word
Doing what I heard
Praying in the Spirit
I've got my Helmet of Salvation
And my Righteous Breastplate
My girdle of truth
And my shield of Faith
I got the sword of the spirit
And my gospel feet shod
Standing on the Word of God

That's how we begin our day. This time will soon add a bible verse. (wink)

Then it was off to do our lessons. It flowed well. He paid attention. He liked it. Little girl did everything big bro did, sitting right at the table. Which worked well for the most part. We had some inturrupting when I tried to read a short poem. So I had to lay down the boundries with her. I ended up taking her to her room for the reading of the poem and she joined us again after it was done. What I learned? She will sit and listen to what we are doing. And I need to have some thing in front of her to do. Be it a paper to color, manipulatives or a puzzle. Something for her to do.

I introduced the concept of recess yesterday. I found it pretty funny. When the time was up I stood whistling on the porch. I could not find a whistle so I just used my lips. DS came laughing.

The time it took to complete the lessons were less than allotted, to my delight. So we shall see what our weekly plan works out to be. I am encouraged. It all seems very doable. I even believe we will have time for many enrichments. Library, zoo, field trips, time with friends, bible study for me, YMCA...fun stuff.

Off to do it again!

7 comments:

mommyofangels said...

Wow home schooling. Takes a special person to do that. Hope you guys have a fun-filled productive year.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a great to start to a year. We started our first day yesterday and I posted about it and what I learned. I'm off to do it again now. Hope the rest of your week is a great one!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your first day went so well! I hope to hear more soon!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sounds like you all had fun. Hope it's always fun and not a chore for y'all. Love the pics, especially DS's hairdo. :-)

Bek said...

woweeee, sounds like a great start!

Autumn said...

what curriculum are you using? We recently started, too! :)

Gina Conroy said...

Sounds like you had a great day.

We're easing into homeschool this year. I'm focusing on our morning routine of waking up on time, chores, Bible at breakfast, and then a fun educational activity/game/video or lesson.

So far things are going well and hopefully I'll get my homeschool room cleaned out and organized by Tuesday.