Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Near Death By Chicken

With 4 lbs of chicken to cook, I layered them in the pressure cooker, covered them with Italian dressing and water. Securing the lid, I placed the pressure cooker on the stove and put the heat to high. Quick and easy. In 20 minutes to a half an hour, dinner would be ready. Right?
After a few minutes I checked the lid to see if it was sealed. Not yet but it was beginning to feel like pressure was building. A few minutes after that I noticed some steam was now coming out of the spout on top. Good. I got the ball that goes on top of the spout, that changes the pressure. I placed it on. Before I did I noticed a bolt on the spout that I didn't recall before. Hmmmm. When I put the ball on it fell right into place. Good, or so I thought.
I knew from the time pressure was established I wanted it to cook for about 20 minutes. So I took note of the time and went about cleaning the house. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes and I hear a PSSSSSSSS. Note to self, I need to check that out. I enter the kitchen and the pressure cooker is silent. No rat-a-tat or shaking of the ball. Hmmmmm. Not so good. Come to think of it I had not heard that sound at all. Definately not good. So I go over and give the ball a jiggle. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Uh oh. There is too much pressure in that baby. Think Sarah think!
Normally I would have turned down the heat once it was pressurized. Normally! That thing was still on high. Quick turn down the temp. Still no rat-a-tat-tat, that ball needs to come off. So I grab hold of it and it easily comes off. I quickly realize it needs to be off the heat. As the spout goes PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I run to the opposite side of the kitchen and watch as steam turns to liquid that fountains and burst out of the spout. Like a whale it snorted Italian dressing and water onto my ceiling. I could hear the kids on the stairs about to come in to the kitchen."Wait, DO NOT COME IN HERE!" It seemed like the lid was swelling and I was bracing myself for an all out explosion. The spewing onto the ceiling and stove lasted over a minute. Then it simmered down and stopped. I let it sit there. Too afraid to go near it. I am laughing. I call my girlfriend who I knew could laugh with me. She did.
I then worked up enough courage to touch it. Carefully I placed it in the sink and sprayed some cool water on it. A little steam and it was over. The pressure was completely released and I was able to open the lid. There in side was the most beautiful sight. Perfectly cooked chicken, not scarred from it's recent ordeal.
I threw the biscuits in the oven, prepared the sides and all was well. Not to mention scrumpditiliumptious.
If I would have been thinking I would have taken a picture of the Italian snot on my ceiling before I cleaned it off. Sorry no such pictures. Just use your imagination. Or if you are feeling brave you can try it in your own kitchen, then you will understand. I recommend you use you imagination.

6 comments:

Bek said...

wow, i don't even really know what a pressure cooker is....but i just got a picture!

Linds said...

Try liquidising butternut squash soup without putting the lid on properly! Cleaning didn't work.The ceiling had to be painted or stay orange. Glad you are unscathed though!

Anonymous said...

I can see an evening devotional in there somewhere :)

Linds said...

Yes.....I can laugh now. Just! And remind me to tell you about the time I threw a cake in the shape of an aeroplaine at the wall at midnight when the wings wouldn't stand up and it disappeared behind the enormous chest freezer..........

Anonymous said...

Hey girl that was FUNNY!
Love ya!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi sara read your note on the pressure cooking experence ask wanda about what happen to her one time many years ago.