Friday, July 21, 2006

So Blessed!!!

So blessed I can't contain it...So blessed I got to give it away... Those words are the chorus of a praise song that comes to me every now and then. And it is so true today!
The free sale was amazing. We started setting up at 8am and it was exactly like my vision. tables lining the long drive. Filled to overflowing. Thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Good stuff. Not those "fruit sales" where everything is old like plastic fruit. It was practical, useful, still in good condition kind of stuff. Our first customers were there at 8:45. It took until 9:30 to have it mostly set up, even then we had so much, we had boxes under the tables awaiting a spot on the tables. We had 18 tables, a circular clothes rack, a blanket of toys, 3 racks for shoes and misc items and many free standing items. Lots of stuff people.
So the stage was set and the fun began. Now I think I mentioned earlier that I was excited. I truly was excited. I could hardly contain myself. As people approached I would greet them, saying something like this:
"Welcome! Everything you see is free, so if there is something you want or need, fell free to take it. There are bags and boxes by the house."
Now we did not publish this as a free sale. There were not even signs at the road that said free. Only when they stepped foot on to the driveway did they get word of it. And the responses were classic. "Really?" "Really!" Laughter. "Oh my goodness." "Why I have never heard of such a thing." "So what's the catch?" "So everything is free but it's $20 for a bag...hahaha" "What are you talking about?" "Why are you doing this?" Some people even jumped back there were so shocked. If I had a camara to capture the expressions, you would have loved it. Complete shock, disbelief, wonder, excitement, sheer joy...we saw them all. And I loved it. Every minute of it.
I know that people were blessed. You could see it on their faces. I am thinking of three old ladies as they meandered through the things that just glowed. They were so tickled, they giggled as they went table to table, talking about how wonderful it was. As they got ready to leave they thanked us and said what a blessing it was. Some of the treasures were for their grand children, so I replied "Now you get to go bless your grand babies." People passing on the blessing. We saw a lot of this.
A neighbor who found treasures for a new baby being adopted form China this week. She told us the story of the adoption and how much it would be appreciated.
One lady was a pastors wife, she asked why we were doing it and we said to be a blessing. She smiled and asked. "You guys are Christians aren't you?" We talked a bit and she went about shopping. As she made her way back around she came near and told me about an international family. The husband and wife are both going to college full time. They have three kids and expecting their fourth. She began to cry as she talked about how these things would bless them. She said "You will be blessed! This family will pray for you and your families will be blessed! Thank you!!" She collected herself and continued at the last few tables. Her emotion still evident. We talked some more and before she got ready to leave she gave me a big hug.
A big teddy bear of a guy came, he was deeply touched. As he got ready to leave he came to me with sincerity and said "Thank you, really I mean it. Thank you!" I vividly remember the expression on his face. I felt such a love for him.
With some we played with their children so the mother could look around. One little boy was so sweet. We talked about choo choo's, and cars. He would throw me a ball and laugh. When it came time to go he didn't want to leave. So sweet. His sister was quietly playing with a wind-up penguin, giggling as it wobbled. She insisted on giving us 15 cents for a note pad and the penguin. Too cute.
Then there was the devine appointment with the hairdresser. A lady came into the drive and was greeted with the normal greeting. Then my sister recognized her. It was her favorite hair dresser. She had not seen her in a long time and had missed her. As they talked it came out that she was still cutting hair and willing to do so from home. Numbers were exchanged. And my sister was oh so happy. She said "That was an appointment from God!"
It seemed like there was something for everyone. Very few walked away empty handed. I believe everyone walked away blessed! Including me!

We still had some left over at the end of the day and people decided to bring new stuff tonight so we will continue on tomorrow. So stay tuned for stories from the free sale part 2.

3 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

It sounds great, S. I'm so happy for you, and I know this won't be the last one, either. I think I'll suggest this at our next ladies meeting and see what they think about us doing this.

I just sent a bunch of stuff over to some friends who are having a yard sale for a friend who has a brain tumor. I still have a lot to go through when Jessica can help me. I'm making progress, slowly but surely.

I'm anxious to see what you have to share after tomorrow's Free Sale now, S. :-)

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am right in the middle of it...what fun...what joy...what blessings!!

Kellie said...

Great storyteller. I was there and it happened just like that. Although I don't think we can really capture the emmense joy that was in the air.