Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Blessings in a Trial

Vox from Built on the Rock asked this question-
What can you share about blessings you’ve received through trials?
Here is my response, feel free to leave your own response.

I was pregnant with what would be our second child. I was camping with my small group when I began to have some spotting. The midwife suggested I go get it checked out. So thinking it was nothing I went alone to the hospital. I remember laying there for the ultrasound..marvaling at life. A small form was on the screen. The technician went about taking measurements , but he was quiet. When I asked if he had found the heartbeat he said. “Not yet…just a moment I will be right back.” Moments later a doctor returned with the technician. Together they took another look. Then the words fell….”I am sorry but there is no heartbeat.” They took me back to my room and the tears fell. I called my hubby who was still home 2 hours away. I called the members from my small group and they began to pray. Then I found myself alone. But then all at once I wasn’t alone at all. God was with me. I felt his presence surround me. And I felt him say can you trust me in this…can you praise my name in your pain? And with tears streaming down my face I responded yes and sang out…Praise God for whom all blessings flow. Praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above Ye heavenly Host. Praise Father Son and Holy Ghost Amen. The next few hours were tough. I was discharged from the hospital and went back to the campground. When I arrived my husband had just gotten there. He admits to going faster than the speed limit but won’t fully disclose to how fast he had gone to be with me. He arrived none to soon. As we hugged. My water broke and the miscarriage began. I went to the bathroom and there was blood everywhere! We quickly rushed back to the hospital. I was immediately given a room. I remember asking the doctor if I was still at risk for hemmoraging and he looked at me and said, ‘Honey YOU ARE hemmoraging!” Hubby said the doctor would be needing a new pair of shoes. He was standing in a puddle of blood. Through a course of 6 paps in one day they got the baby out and I did not need further surgery. God had protected me. He kept me safe. I spent the night in a hotel and the following day returned home. That night had been my first night away from my firstborn. And he had done great in the care of my friends. That week I was incredibly weak. I had lost a lot of blood. So I gave my weakness to Jesus. Jesus reminds us that we do not have to carry our burdens alone. “Come to me all you who are loaded down with heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”Friends yet again surrounded. One friend watched my boy by day so I could rest and regain my strength. Others brought ice cream and sprinkles. Still others kind words and encouragement. Looking back; what could have been a dark time was really a time filled with light and hope. And thankfulness for the little blessing I did have in my son.Sure Satan tried to use the miscarriage to bring back past guilt and shame. But God would not stand for it. Through his Word he showed me His truth. I am His child, made in His likeness. Forgiven and surrounded in perfect PEACE.While I lost the baby to miscarriage. I was pregant again 5 months later. Today my little girl is 2 and a half. A blessing indeed.
Through that trial the blessings I recieved were many.I know I can praise Him in my pain.I know he has given me a support system.He holds my hand.He comforts.He made me thankful for all that I had.He protected. I nearly needed a blood transfusion.I learned to listen to His voice and what He has to say to me over that of the enemy.And yes ice cream and sprinkles are a blessing! Especially when they come from the hands of my friends!!

5 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

Man, that story makes me cry every time - right when you get to the part about singing the doxology in the doctor's office. I obviously wasn't there, but when you tell the story I can hear your beautiful voice singing out. What a painful time you were in and yet you still were praising God.

Mindy Richmond said...

And if I may make a correction... The lyric is Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I don't want to seem nit-picky but that one word is so important, don't you think? All blessings come from Him.

Friend said...

I was there, at that campground and was one of those friends who tried to be there for you! I remember this event as if it were yesterday! I remember the emotions I felt when the memory of my own similar thing happened to me.

I'm not trying to take any credit, I tell you I was there because you weren't the only one receiving blessings during this trial. We, meaning all of us who were present at that campground, were blessed by your strength too! You continue to be a light for me today and that event has something to do with that!

And ice-cream and sprinkles....I so wanted to EAT them..good thing I didn't! Hee hee

momteacherfriend said...

Mindy- If I am speaking it that is when I choke as well. The tears are inevitable. You can make the correction. I am not the best typer or proof reader. This excerpt is from my much longer written testimony, that I read. So yes all blessings come from Him.

Surrogate- I love you always. I remember how much you were there. And I am glad DS first overnight was with someone I could trust. It is most definately a good thing you did not eat the ice cream on the way! I know your having a crummy day, do you think you have an ice cream delivery compay in your area. Miss ya girl.

Friend said...

Hey....funny you should say that! I called dear sweet hubby on his way home and had him do an ice-cream pick up at Chick-fil-A. I needed it I told him! I HAD to have it! Good thing he loves me so much, he gladly complied, which also meant he had to stop and get $$ because he had none in his wallet for the $1.55 ice-cream I was requesting!

Better day today though...I ate the ice-cream! LOL