Saturday, February 10, 2007

Training

This week I have taken a few steps in my training for this summer's triathlon. On Wednesday I went in to swim. The lifeguard said he would work with me on my breathing. It desperately needs help so I agreed. Here is what I have learned:
Breathe out through your nose
Breathe in through your mouth
4 count is best
My bodies natural rhythm is 8
4 confuses me somehow
Also acceptable is a 2 count; always breathing with the right stroke
I think this is how I am going to breathe for the triathlon
It is a constant exhale/inhale rhythm
I think it will work if I can keep from swallowing/snorting water
I snort water more than I should
It is best to have your hair pulled back
My hair is a huge contributor to snorting water
It may be time for a lovely swim cap
Fingers should be kept together, I was like a bear claw
Legs as close together as possible
Small brisk kicks
When breathing do not look up to the ceiling or sky
Do not bob you head or thrust it forward
It should be a smooth glance over to the wall with your head resting on your arm
I have a long ways to go
I can swim the 1/4 mile consistently
Switching strokes between free style, back and kick board.
I want to continue to lengthen my free style distance every week until I can go the whole distance this way

That is the swimming portion of the training

Biking I go about 5 miles each time I am on. I am starting to experience a weird numbness in the tip of my nose. If I am on the bike to long it is the slightest of tingling. I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks. I wanted to have my blood drawn and a basic panel run. It will tell me cholesterol, blood counts, kidney and liver function and much more. I plan to talk to her about the tingly nose at that time. Also, on the bike front I am considering buying a new bike. My current bike is a Wal-Mart special. I plan on checking into models this weekend. I may be a new owner by the end of this weekend. (SMILE)

Running I am comfortable with a mile on the track. I have yet to make peace with the treadmill. I am not fond of it at all. I tend to get shin splints while running on the treadmill. Not my idea of fun. So I am currently sticking with the track. 16 times around is a mile. Around and around I go. I want to increase this distance. I know there is much to improve on my running. While there on Thursday night I introduced myself to the instructor who leads the triathlon class. He happens to be the race coordinator for the triathlon I will be running in June. He was working with a guy. He worked him HARD. I am considering joining the class. I know he will kick my butt. I also know that it would be good for me. I have a lot to learn. I think I would rather be pushed to my limit and learn, then continue in ignorance and struggle.

Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

I will run and not grow weary! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I will do a triathlon because I believe. I know the Lord is doing more than just training me for a race, so much more. If only I knew what it is.

1 comment:

Karen Hossink said...

Yes, He is doing more - so much more. Will you ever figure it out this side of heaven? Who knows? But keep your eyes fixed upon Him and live to bring Him glory in all you do, sister!