Friday, October 09, 2009

Let It Rain

Today we had plans to attend an outdoor festival. Visions of sunshine and fall colors danced through my head. Instead we were met with rain. Drizzling, wet rain.
Rather than let it get in the way of our plans we went anyway.
We watched ladies make sauerkraut, fresh apples being hand-pressed, civil war reenactors, a black smith and visited the animals in the 4-H tent. Not too shabby of a day.
Sure we had on hats, mittens and coats but that did not deter us. If anything it made me appreciate it more. There were no long lines or pushing and shoving to see what was happening. It also made me realize that soldiers in the civil war didn't get to choose whether or not they stayed inside due to the weather.
Are we raising a generation of fair weather friends? Are we raising our kids to stay inside and only go out if the conditions are ideal? I have come to realize that if I continue to wait for ideal, I will waste a lot of time waiting. I would much rather live life. So let it rain.
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: