Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Am A Woman On...

Weights!
Oh Yes I am. I started my class today at the YMCA. The title of the class is Women On Weights (WOW) Being day one, the trainer went easy on us. Well at least she said she did. We did a full body workout. With three sets of 8 reps for each machine. It was a great workout. For the most part it was working on the machines that I have been using for the last couple weeks. Yet it was improved because she was there to correct form and show proper extension to get the most out of the lift. She also was pretty right on as far as starting weights and abilities. Which is a good thing. Knowing where to start is half the battle. Today there were six in the class, three newbies and three veterans. The veterans were given their instructions and went about with their workouts as a group of three. The newbies had one on one attention of the trainer as she taught us what to do. Which was great!
Of everything we did I feel it in my thighs the most. Lunges. I have been doing them with much less repetition. So I feel it, which is good. Productivity. She talked a bit about soreness and muscle memory. How you need to keep at it to train the muscle. She also mentioned the need to stretch and eat more protein.
So off I go to stretch. Watch out I am getting buff. I am a woman on weights. heehee

5 comments:

Butterfly Mama said...

Sounds great! Have fun buffing up!

Karen Hossink said...

You sound excited. I wonder how you'll sound when you hit the 24 hour mark. That's when the muscle aches tend to set in, isn't it?
My hubby often groans and says, as he's getting up to move, "Oooo, I had good legs work out yesterday!" It is as we often hear - NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

You do sound so excited! I am happy for you and that you are able to find balance and fit this into your schedule. I imagine your kids enjoy the chance to run and play too before going back to school work. It's a good example you are setting to that your body and health are important to take care of.

I've been thinking after reading all you are doing...that I have no excuse to not be taking care of my body (temple) by excercising regularly. In the past I have usually left it as... "If I have time". I think it is something I need to make more time for. I want to go back to power walking 3 times or more a week and consistently lifting weights. It's amazing how different you feel when you do this, isn't it?

Thanks for inspiring me and giving me hope that "I can also do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!".

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!I slacked off on weight training over the holidays. My weight didn't change but the fit of my clothes did. I dragged myself back into the weight room last night. My Mom and Grandma both have osteoporosis. I'm hoping to avoid it or at least minimize it.

Sarah Smith said...

Good for you! Weights are fun, no? I like the results of weightlifting, but I really don't like doing weights at the gym - I can't stand it when big beefy guys come up to me and "correct" my form (aka hit on me, as I can't wear my wedding ring while lifting). My solution: I bought a couple of dumbbells and now lift weights at home. I use my balance ball as a sort of "bench", and I've gotten pretty good results so far.