Friday, January 19, 2007

Emerging Dream

Since I have been working out I have tried various workouts to get moving. I have lifted weights, ran, biked, swam, rowed, the elliptical thing and played various sports with the kids. It has been a journey that I am so thankful I have embarked on. When I first started my endurance was low. I would be a couple minutes into it and out of breath. I have pushed through it and am seeing great improvement. Over the last week or so I have begun to seriously consider a triathlon. The more I have talked to people the more I am encouraged. I am beginning to see this as a reality. At first it was a "someday I would like to do that." Then it turned into "maybe next year I will be ready for something like that." And now it is more like "I am doing it, this year."
Thankfully there are sprint triathlons. All three disciplines (swimming, biking and running) in shorter distances. A sprint would include a 1/4 mile swim, 13 mile bike ride and a 5K run. If you would have told me last year that I would even think about doing it I may have laughed. But today I am determined I am going to do it.
This morning I had a good cardio workout followed by a good stretch. Then to my delight my parents took the kids to dinner, making hubby and I's second date to the gym. I decided that I wanted a taste of what a triathlon would be like. I determined I was going to do a 1/4 mile swim (18 lengths of the pool) 5 miles on the bike and a 1 mile run. I felt this was a bit ambitious but I knew I had to start somewhere. Hubby had an hour and a half workout planned for himself so I set my goal to accomplish all three in that same amount of time.
I filled my water bottle got suited up and made my way to the pool. Now I have never swam any amount of distance in my life. I am a good swimmer but not a great swimmer. I am untrained. I can tread water and back stroke until the end of day but have yet to master by breathing for a normal stroke in any amount of distance. So for that reason I decided to do the swim continuous with the use of a board. I figure technique will come with the building of endurance. So kick, kick, kick I went. With no use of the arms it took about 20 minutes to complete the distance. I got out of the pool and made my way quickly to my locker to change. In less than 5 minutes I was on the bike and peddling at a good rate. I finished the 5 miles in 21.3 minutes wiped off the bike and set off on the track. On the outer lane I had 16 laps to make my mile. When I got to 7 I was not sure if I was really on 6 or 7 so I counted it as 6. The same happened at lap 11/12 so I counted it as 11. I finished my mile in about 20 minutes or less. Since I did not plan on doing a mini triathlon I did not bring a stopwatch. But when it was all said and done it had been almost exactly an hour. I finished it, AMAZING by itself, a half hour before my goal. WooHoo!! It felt really good.
Since hubby was still running I went down to talk to one of the employees at the Y. Turns out he has done a few sprint triathlons and was a wealth of information. He told me the ins and outs. What to expect and how to prepare. I told him that maybe I was being a little ambitious to think I should try for one this year. He was very encouraging and said "You can totally do it."
After I cooled off a bit I decided I would climb the rock wall. I made it to the top. Then hubby finished his workout and challenged me to a climb. So I climbed again. With myself on course one and hubby on course two. Cute harnesses and all. At go we both scrambled up the wall and he beat me. But not by that much. Not all that surprising either when you consider his brute strength and taller build. Unfair advantage if you ask me. Ah good times.
So there you have it, my emerging dream is to do a sprint triathlon THIS YEAR. Do you think I can do it? I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!
Anyone want to join me?

8 comments:

Bek said...

that sounds like fun....triathalons have always intrigued me too...i think i would need a partner....

KelseyChristine said...

I say go for it!

Anonymous said...

YOU can do it!!! And we will be there to cheer you on! You are looking healthier and happier every day!!! (((HUGS)))

Diane@Diane's Place said...

You go, girl!! You're making progress every day, I don't know why you couldn't do it! Good for you!

I'm making some lifestyle changes myself, mostly in my diet. I can't do much exercising because of my arthritis, but when I lose some weight there may be some things I can tolerate.

Have a great weekend,S. :-)

Sarah Smith said...

Count me in. In my New Year's Resolution post, I mentioned that I'd like to compete in a triathlon. I have to figure out where I'm living in the summer months before I can pick a race, but I'm definitely going to do one this year! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that does those, I can NOT do it....even if I Weren't pregnant...

Butterfly Mama said...

Oh, I have always wanted to do that! You go girl...this year I think will be a bit difficult since I'm probably going to gain 20 more poundsbefore August. (Oh, yeah that was a dream - probably 40 more!!) I guess I'm still in the maybe next year stage...

Karen Hossink said...

Yes!!! and No!!!!!!

That is, Yes! I think you can do it. And No! I won't be joining you. I love to swim, and biking is OK, but running and I just don't get along...Good for you for being so ambitionus!