Sunday, November 19, 2006

Learning the Sabbath

I have heard it many a times, Sabbath rest. The Lord worked 6 days and on the seventh day he rested. So he called his people to a Sabbath rest as well. For years we have set aside Sunday as the Lord's day to go to church. Yet I believe I have sadly missed what he was really calling His people to. Sure at times I would claim my Sabbath right not to do the laundry or dishes. Afterall that is work to me. And other times the busyness would overtake everyday all day including Sundays.
Yesterday I got a glimpse of what he really meant. I think I am learning the Sabbath. It may take a few months, perhaps longer.
Someone my husband and I love and respect have been called to start a home church. They are in the birthing stages. It is all very new. After church, everyone is welcomed to stay all day. Yes, all day. We shared a meal together. We laughed. The kids played. We enjoyed each others company. Some left and returned later in the afternoon. The guys had time for guy stuff and the ladies had time for lady stuff. It was such a relaxing and refreshing day. The Sabbath.
Much to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, that is an excellent example of what God is talking about when He talks of that 7th day of rest!!