Monday, August 14, 2006

Family Camp

Family camp is the time of year that all my family gets together to go camping. My parents, siblings, neices, nephews, aunts, cousins and life long friends. This year we had 30+ campers with many daytime visitors. We had a blast. Less the poison ivy and mosquito bites, those we could have done without.
What is family camp without activities? We had lots to choose from. Boating, swimming, biking, hiking, luminaries, rocket launchers, Diet Coke and Mentos, sand art, necklace and crown making, bike decorating complete with parade, bingo, snake toss, reading, sleeping...and much more. Something for everyone.
So I mentioned Diet Coke and Mentos... Do you recall the link I shared regarding them? Well, we could not let them have all the fun so we decided to try it ourselves. Not really following their recommendations of prestringing and such. NOPE we didn't. Instead we tried stuffing them in and getting out of the way. Here is what we learned... Diet Coke and Mentos react VERY quickly! It does not understand you are not out of the way yet. It WILL spray in your face. It will go up your nose. It will make people laugh and it is sure to impress the crowd. Night two we took my aunts advice and fashioned a loader tube out of a paper towel roll sized to the bottle top. We were much more successful with this method. I highly recommend you run, walk, bike to your nearest store and pick up and bottle of Diet Coke and a package of mentos. While there get more than one.
Overheard...by various children over the weekend:
"Bible study at 10 o'clock"
"The dog used to know me, I don't think he recognized me because I cut my hair."
"My brother and I were borned out of the hole on my mommies leg."
"This is awesome!"
"My favorite was the rocket launchers...no wait, it was the pop that blew up."
"Am I going to live?"
"Hurry...I think there are killer bees in the forest."
"This is a really long walk."
"Here's another clay pit."
"Wait for me."
"Mom..."
Feel free to add to this list.
We had 15 kids ranging from 11 months to 16. So they were a good source of entertainment.

More on camping to come....I should go do something productive

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like so much fun! I love camping and it is even better with lots of family and friends.
Glad you were able to enjoy time together.

momteacherfriend said...

My dad called to remind me of another funny quote.
My daughter went on a boat ride with grandma, grandpa and Bobber. Bobber was driving the boat when DD asked grandma, "Do we pray now?"

Kellie said...

Okay, Laughing. Side hurts. Love kids. Love you too.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Man, you get to have ALL the fun! Glad you had a good time and got home safely. :-)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading these!! :)

Jada's Gigi said...

What a blast!! I have known families who did this over the years but we never did. I can't get my extended family together for hardly anything but my kids would have loved this growing up. So glad you are continuing the tradition.