Monday, February 16, 2009

A Biblical Butt Chewing

I don't know if that is what you would call it but that is just what it was.
It appeared that this Sundays message was written just for me. I am sure others got stuff out of it too. But it sure seemed that every single word he spoke was God saying.."take note of that, uh huh that too." "Did you hear that?" Everything was practical and applicable to my life, right now. So what was this message about? What passage of the Bible was being discussed?
Matthew 6:19-21
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The visiting pastor took a few minutes to talk about what the passage was not about and then he went on to talk about what it did mean. Those words moth and rust destroy give indication not to that which has a place and is used. But to that which is UNUSED. Those things in our life and homes that go untouched, gathering dust. And I don't know about you but that is my home. Piles of clutter. Things unused and neglected. Things that get in my way of enjoying my life and home. I have always struggled with keeping a clean house. It is not one of my strengths. It seems that our home goes in waves of cleanliness to disaster. Sunday morning it was in a state of disaster. Things out of place, some lost and much unuse. Clothes we have outgrown. Papers we have no need to hold onto. Toys forgotten. And where in the world is our geoboards?

The pastor on Sunday also spoke about treasure of the heart. What do we give our time and energy to? What drives us? Is it our blackberries that we can't keep our hands off of, my facebook, ________? Have we given God our hearts?

He had so many good points and practical application I walked out of there inspired to make some changes. After lunch we got to work. Cleaning, decluttering, throwing away, giving away and organizing. It feels good to see my bedroom floor again. And that medicine cabinet; who knew there was expired meds from 2001?
Little by little I am making my way through our stuff, letting go of that which needs to go.
I can't wait for hubby to come home and see the difference one biblical butt chewing can make.

To listen to this message you can go to my churchs website
http://www.trinitywiredmedia.com/2009.html
You will want to click on:
February 15th, 2009 The Greatest Words Ever Spoken - Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live Marvin Williams

No comments: