Wednesday, October 18, 2006

That Is Not How I Remembered It

Dwelling in my Daniel study these days and I came across some things that I didn't quite recall. Those of you with small children will most likely have seen the Veggie Tales reinactment of Daniel and the fiery furnace in the tale Rack, Shack and Benny. As the story goes Daniel and his friends work at the chocolate factory, they are promoted, given special ties and everything. They were important stuff. The owner builds his chocolate idol and all are asked to bow down. Recall the scene where Laura is begging them to "Just do it, bow down." What I am reading in Daniel somewhat surprises me and this is why. Laura would not have even been there. That's right, she was JUST a factory worker. Let's read from Daniel and see WHO WAS there...
Daniel 3
2 He then summoned the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials to come to the dedication of the image he had set up. 3 So the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials assembled for the dedication of the image that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up, and they stood before it.

If I understand this correctly, it was those of importance that were summoned, NOT your common folk of Babylon. That is how Beth equates it too. If fact it appears that they are listed from the most important of offices to the least. Huh! Not the common folk. Not the Lauras or the factory, or the Sarah's from the home. Those in office. Imagine with me George Bush and his cabinet, the Supreme court, the Senate, the House, the Govenor of your state, are you imagining with me here. Imagine them all gathered together in one place and asked to bow down to a large statue (or notion) from another nation. Because in the text it said men of EVERY langauge. The men assembled were not just Babylonian officials, they were men from all of the world. Men of prominence. Why does that matter? He didn't want the worship of just anyone, he wanted it from the elite. Nothing more than to stoke his own ego.

I found this to be interesting. How about you?

Originally posted as Dave and the Giant Pickle..oops, that would be the story of David and Goliath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is very interesting. I've never thought about it that way.

One thing - I think the video you're referring to is "Rack, Shack and Benny"... :)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in coincidence. It is no suprise how history repeats. Same old story..just a new name. I always find it interesting,all the news involving the United Nations.

Anonymous said...

I think erecting a statue of yourself signifies too much ego even if no one bows down to it.