Sunday, October 22, 2006

R*E*A*D*I*N*G

This spring I got word that the Pizza Hut Book It Program is available to homeschoolers. So I signed up for my son to participate. The coupons arrived and the program is now underway. After talking about free pizza, he was excited to get started. I got out a beginning reader and he read it, without any problem. He was so excited! You want to talk about smiling eyes and jumping up and down. He called all the grandparents and his cousin to share his accomplishment. Little did he know he HAS BEEN reading, for over a month! I know I have plugged it before but really, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons is GREAT!
This is his reading portion from the lesson he just completed:
he said, "can I eat cake?
she said, "go sit with the cow."
he said, "no. I will not go."
she said, "go sit with the cat."
he said, "the cat has cake."
she said, "go sit with the cat and eat cake."
so he ate cake.
he said, "this is fun."

My son can read that!! That amazes me! Not to mention we just completed lesson 43, 57 more to go.
Congrats son, YOU ARE READING!!!

Go check out the book it site, they have some great recommendations and printable charts to encourage your kids in their reading goals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations to your son. We did 100 easy lessons last year and loved it. We are now using "explode the code" as a follow up phonics tool and continuing practicing to read.

I love that the Book It program allows homeschoolers. We enjoyed our first pizza a couple weeks ago.

Becky said...

Isn't it an amazing feeling to watch your child learn to read! My Hannah's incentive was the free book program at Barnes and Noble this summer - I basically saw her go from struggling with BOB books to really reading (Fire Cat, Little Bear) while meeting that challenge!
A big "Hooray" for your son!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your son!

The book program sounds fun! :)

By the way I think this is my first time to your blog, please feel free to stop by my blog and say hello as well! :)