Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mission Accomplished

My dear brother called me this morning and asked if he could take my kids for a couple hours. Are you serious, of course you can! With a couple hours on my hands I finished up some emails and stuff around the house, then hit the gym. I was determined to run my 2 miles. I started with my warm-up laps, then stretched. Right before I hit the track a few things were going through my mind.
-Did I drink enough water to get me through?
-2 miles huh?
-That makes 28 times around this thing.
-Boy I hope I don't get side stitches today!
-Breathe, remember to breathe.
-Don't push it too hard.
-Remember your form
-2 miles huh?
I set the stop watch took one last swig of water and off I went. At first I had in my mind 28 laps. And I began to feel overwhelmed by the number. So I told myself 2 laps, do 2 laps and that's what I did. Then I would do 1 lap and say do it again. Until before I knew it I was at 1/2 a mile, a quarter of the way. Around and around and around I went until I was at 1.5 miles. I noticed my breathing was pretty relaxed and I still had quite a bit of energy so I decided to pick it up just a bit. Lap 26 I decided let's finish this thing strong. So I picked it up some more. Then last lap I pushed it doing the lap in 35.17 making it my fastest lap of the run. WooHoo 2 miles in 21.21. I did it. And I felt great. And I have hope for the next goal, 2.5. I finally made it past that mental barrier. One down, many more to overcome. Yet with each victory it brings this joy and hope.
Oh, just in case you were wondering, I did not find myself thirsty during the run itself. I did however chug down about 20 oz shortly after. :)


Note: Thanks for all the encouragement I have received in this training process! And Kili normally I would take my kids to the totwatch provided by the YMCA at no extra charge. Then we do some physical activity together, making it fun for them too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the fact that your bro watched the kids. that didn't come out quite right but i'm sure you understand.

i was just curious where you took them. and they are old enough that it isn't scary to leave them there...