Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ecstatic

After taking a look at my splits for the mile and a half I was encouraged and challenged that I can improve. I was talking to my Dad who figured out the math of what my splits needed to be to bring my mile under 10 minutes. 42 seconds per lap on my YMCA track, which is 14 laps to the mile. Last night my times were averaging around 52 seconds and I had only one lap that was under the time of 42 seconds. It was my last lap at 36 seconds. I really pushed myself to finish strong.
So tonight with my handy new watch, I hit the track, ready to pick up the pace. My first lap I ran in 35 seconds, interesting.
Lap 2, 36.38
Lap 3, 39.89
Lap 4, 40.51
I was noticing the trend of slowing down. Yet I also knew that I was in this for the whole mile and my times were still under the 42 second goal.
Lap 5, 42.08
Lap 6, 43.71
Lap 7, 43.29
Half way there and my total time was at 4 minutes and 40 seconds. I checked again to make sure. Did this mean I might actually break the 10 minute mark? If I kept up the pace, yes!
Lap 8, 42.82
Lap 9, 42.41
Lap10, 42.57
Lap 11, 42.41
Lap12, 41.02
All those times were at or under my goal...I was beginning to get excited at the reality. I knew I still had some energy and wanted to finish the last two laps strong so I tried picking it up a bit.
Lap13, 39.36
Lap 14, 37.54
Total time 9 minutes and 29 seconds!
I had dropped TWO WHOLE MINUTES off my time. WOOHOO!!!!!! Definitely out of breathe but doing a little dance. Oh, did I forget to mention? I did this after a butt-kicking workout in the pool.
My next goal is to run 2 miles. I will let you know when and if this is accomplished.
On Thursday we will work on form. I look forward to learning what I can do to improve. The better the form the easier the run. The easier the run, the farther I can go. The farther I can go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It's amazing how much more energy you get when you accomplish your goal...way to go!

Friend said...

Woo hoo! Girl, you rock! I am proud of you! I wonder how quickly I could run a mile?? Hmmmmmmmmm, you may have inspired me! *G* Uh, then again, maybe not! LOL I'll let yo do it! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!